Main Menu

Four hours bleeding brakes = no brakes

Started by docmel, July 27, 2020, 02:12:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

docmel

I have never had such a problem bleeding a brake system. 

1.  Bench bled the new master cylinder (Power Booster set up):  Easy job, no prob there

Going from right rear, to left rear, to right front, to left front:

2.  Tried the, "pump-then-hold the brake down, crack open the bleeder, closebleederbefore the fluid stops" technique for about 2 hours " = no brake pressure. 

3. Then tried using my mighty vac bleeder:  I get plenty of air feedback, but very little fluid feedback for 2 hours = no joy

And I mean there is no pressure at all at the disc calipers.  No drag, not even a little pressure

All the parts are new:  Master cylinder, distro block and all calipers and brake lines.    There are absolutley no leaks anywhere.  I even triple cheked to ensure the brake lines are routed and connected to the correct ports

So now I am trying gravity bleeding,starting at the left rear, really because I am out of options and burned out at working the problem.  Its been about 30 min, and I see very little brake fluid going into my catch jar

I am dumbfounded:  I have never had such an issue bleeding brakes. 

docmel

Rich G.

When you bleed the brakes does the fluid go down in the master? Is it a stock master and booster? Is the pushrod in the booster adjusted right ( if adjustable) so the piston in the master returns all the way? I put plugs in the master when I bench bleed it and when it's bled you shouldn't be an to push in the piston at all If the master is good. Do you need a different valve for 4 wheel discs? Just a few ideas to check.

70 Challenger Lover

We had a similar problem on my buddies GTO and it was maddening. Finally, we removed the master and bench bled it a second time. In the car, it was at a slight angle and we think an air bubble got trapped. Back on the bench a second time, we made sure to drive the piston all the way to the stop point several times and sure as heck, big air bubbles came out. After that, it was a breeze.

7212Mopar

You did not mention how the brake pedal feels when you bleed. Are you doing it all by yourself? You need a catch bottle with some fluid in it so when you pump you are not sucking air. When you gravity bleed, is your reservoir cover off? Are your bleeder screws at the top of your calibers?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

docmel

[/quote when you bleed the brakes does the fluid go down in the master?
Barely

Is it a stock master and booster?
No

Is the pushrod in the booster adjusted right ( if adjustable) so the piston in the master returns all the way? 
Thats a good point: I dont think so.  My brake pedal is way high and tight against the high stop.  It feels as if I have the adjustment to far out/long, and I beleive this is preventing the piston from returning all the way.  I would have never had checked that unless you had brought it up.  Thats tomorrows goal