Main Menu

Breaking a car down for media blasting TIPS for a rookie

Started by nsmall, January 28, 2017, 09:06:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I hope I'm not posting too much but I'm trying to post topics that would also help someone else down the road.

As I begin to prepare for stripping my car down for Media Blasting I was going to ask for any sort of advice.

Ive heard it's best to take pictures and then some more pictures and go ahead and take some more pictures.

I plan to label and bag everything very carefully.

What about boxes for specific areas like bumpers,  doors, seats, console and so on?  Again I would label and bag everything I put in these boxes.

I'm assuming having hundreds of bags laying around get overwhelming pretty quick. Any suggestions guys and gals?

Thanks

Rookie Neil

screamindriver

You're not posting too much at all...That's what the site is here for...The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask before you got into trouble...

You have the main idea...First up is take pics...Now that we're in the digital age don't be shy with the pics...When you photo a component or area start with a big overall pic then get some from different angles in more detail...Even the smallest detail like how the wiring is routed,what fastners are used,original gaps in panels,how a bracket is oriented, and how the insulation is applied etc... is valuable later on so don't overlook any details thinking "I'll remember where that goes" because you won't.... :) Download them to a computer and start folders for each area/assembly as you go...Try not to overload yourself with one big file containing too much you'll be glad for the breakdowns when it's time for reference/reassembly...And lastly get a flashdrive and copy the pics in case the storage files or computer goes down for the count before the resto is finished... When I build a project I even have reference materials collected out ahead of the teardown like component plating and finishes for the peticular year and any variations that may be present...

Tag and bag ALL pieces...Get a temporary marker like a pencil, grease pencil, etc... Mark left,right, top, bottom or whatever is needed to make the identification easier down the road...Keep sub assemblies together {like brake/clutch pedals, heater box, etc..} and box or bag them and keep them safely stored until you can deal with each one in more detail...Small nuts and bolts go into baggies and then into an appropriately sized box...For example you'll have baggies marked left door,right door,trunk,hood and other body fasteners all in a box marked "body bolts"...How big the sub assemblies can be is only limited to your storage space...I have big,rolling storage racks with parts on them...They get covered I've got special carts made up to load the engine/trans/kmember right onto from the lift...Just unbolt the whole front suspension and kmember and drop it right out...{Most won't be able to do that I'm just using that as an example}...

Don't be tempted to leave ANYTHING on the car if it's going to the blaster...It'll get shot and ruined even if they're blasting the other end of the car..Trust me on that one....Leave only what needs to get shot..

I make up a crate to store glass in until the determination is made to reuse or replace...

You'll enjoy restoring your car much more if you set realistic goals and do components and areas in stages...Work on a sub assembly until it's completed then box,bag, or store the assembly until it's ready for the car...Don't rip too many things apart at one time and loose track of valuable small pieces that will burn a hole in your wallet trying to replace them...

Sorry for the book I've been restoring vehicles for a long time and I want your experience to be a great one... :ohyeah:

71GranCoupe

:iagree: :perfect10: That is spot on advice, and I will reiterate, about don't EVER think you will remember what/where it goes. Label it and save the grief.  :bricks: :Thud:

nsmall

Thanks.  Good information being shared.  I love this information. 

Here's another question....Is there a general plan I should have in regards to Order of removal? 

I know that's kind of a vague question. I'm dropping the engine and tranny together and K frame and front suspension in one drop out the bottom.

I was thinking the front windshield trim and front glass should be done towards the beginning for easier dash removal.  I was thinking the front and rear valances should come off towards the beginning to make it easier to get to the bumpers for example.

I think disassembly sounds easier than reassembly and reassembly is where order would be more important.

Neil

turbostang7

Only thing I would add is after bagging and tagging, fishing tackle boxes make fantastis storage and organization devices, cheap and already have compartments. I found some with closeable compartments to use so if it gets knocked over they are still where I put them. Plus you can label the lid of the spot what it is for easy assembly later.

Cuda Cody

Keep in mind how you want to move the car after you take it apart.  Some people will leave it as a "roller" so the suspension and wheels stay on it.   Others will put it on a dolly or rotisserie with every last nut and bolt removed.  Does your body guy have a dolly or rotisserie you can use?

Quote from: nsmall on January 29, 2017, 12:32:21 AM
Thanks.  Good information being shared.  I love this information. 

Here's another question....Is there a general plan I should have in regards to Order of removal? 

I know that's kind of a vague question. I'm dropping the engine and tranny together and K frame and front suspension in one drop out the bottom.

I was thinking the front windshield trim and front glass should be done towards the beginning for easier dash removal.  I was thinking the front and rear valances should come off towards the beginning to make it easier to get to the bumpers for example.

I think disassembly sounds easier than reassembly and reassembly is where order would be more important.

Neil

nsmall

Im building a roller dolly....I have large caster wheels and a set up to hook to the front bumper bracket area and for the rear I was planning on building a set for the rear leaf spring mounting area.  Ill have a cross bar on both sides.  Basically stealing us car tool ideas.

Thanks for looking out for me.

Neil

Chaos-N-Mayhem

While bagging and tagging, it might be a good idea to create an inventory list which includes the bag #s and what's in them. This will allow you to look at your inventory to know which bag to find certain items in without having to go through the bags visually for something. I am in the process of working on my Challenger and although I thought I did a good job bagging and tagging I still felt I was/am looking for stuff. I would also recommend a visual inspection of each part as you take them off and note on your list what you will need to re-use, restore, or find and replace. This may help your to-do list and keep you ahead of the game.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  That's a great idea.  As you take stuff off, do a visual inspection and make a note of what is to be restored and what will need to be replaced.  Not sure what option is best, post a photo here and we'll help.  :yessir:

cataclysm80

Quote from: Chaos-N-Mayhem on January 29, 2017, 08:26:45 PM
I still felt I was/am looking for stuff.

When restoring a car, it seems like half the time is spent looking for stuff, and the other half is spent cleaning parts.
Not much time is spent during assembly. 

HP_Cuda

The other half is spent on buying parts for the third time because you forgot you already bought them.

:pullinghair:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Markp

Quote from: HP_Cuda on January 30, 2017, 10:34:20 AM

The other half is spent on buying parts for the third time because you forgot you already bought them.

:pullinghair:

:iagree:
1974 Cuda Pro Street HP?????
2000 Camaro SS 383 Stroker 550hp
2016 Challenger Hellcat 707HP

cataclysm80

On the bright side, you can build an extra car with all the spare parts.   :D

Burdar

I quickly scanned through the other replies and didn't see this mentioned. 

Don't be tempted to disassemble everything right away.  Meaning, remove things from the car in larger assemblies.  Drop the engine/trans out the bottom and keep them attached to the K-member if you have the room.  There is no reason to separate them in the beginning.(leave the alternator, brackets, starter, carb, coil exc...on the engine)  The factory installed the dash as a complete assembly.  You should remove it as a complete assembly.  Don't take it apart piece by piece.  Keep it in one large assembly until you're ready to restore it.   If you disassemble everything in the beginning, all you end up with is boxes of parts and fasteners.  You're going to misplace something that way.  Not to mention, you'll forget how it all goes back together.  By keeping things in larger assemblies, there's less stuff to keep track of.  When you are ready to work on one of those assemblies, THEN take it apart.  Restore it and put it right back together.  You'll remember how it goes back together if you disassembled it a couple months ago instead of a couple years ago.

Bags work good at keeping fasteners together but I like those plastic bolt bins better.  I put a little slip of paper in each compartment that says what is in each one.  When I sent off my fasteners to be zinc plated, I made a master list of every part that got sent off and what compartment it came out of.  Once the fasteners came back, it made reorganizing very easy.  Everything went right back into its respective place.

soundcontrol

I put bolts (sticking out a bit) in all the holes to protect the threads from the sandblaster before sending it off. Keeping a inventory list is a great idea, wish I done that, bagged everything and marked the bags, still hard to find stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk