Main Menu

build your NEW - practical * "DREAM" * daily driver - 1970-'71 E-body

Started by 6bblgt, May 16, 2020, 11:20:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

everybody seems to have some extra time on their hands these days
      go build a practical daily driver capable E-body - based on there current value everyone usually says they'd get a hemi'cuda convertible but lets be honest ......
     - they are NOT practical & few had the budget to shop at that high-end for a driver - so I'll add a couple rules  :bricks:  and dash your dreams

everyone's on a budget and don't forget to double your insurance rates and keep 2X or 3X gas money in your pocket
take your current daily driver * find its M.S.R.P. * divide by 8 (for 1970 money) & forget about the destination charge * now go shopping - but don't exceed your budget (not by a penny  :stop:)
      8)      price guides in the "RESOURCES" section "salesman's pocket price guides" -  to be accurate
https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Data_Salesman_Color_Upholstery/1970_Dodge_Salesman_Models_Equipment_Prices_Challenger.pdf
https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Data_Salesman_Color_Upholstery/1970_Plymouth_Salesman_Models_Equipment_Prices_Barracuda.pdf
https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Data_Salesman_Color_Upholstery/1971_Dodge_Salesman_Models_Equipment_Prices_Challenger.pdf
https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Data_Salesman_Color_Upholstery/1971_Plymouth_Salesman_Models_Equipment_Prices_Barracuda.pdf

daily driver:
2007 Ram 1500 4x4 M.S.R.P. $32,715 - go back and spend $4,089
2017 Charger R/T SCAT PACK M.S.R.P. $45,770 - go back and spend $5,721 (if you truly drive this car daily in all weather conditions - you get a HEMI car, good luck!)
2020 Jeep Cherokee M.S.R.P. $33,040 - go back and spend $4,130

I daily drive an Oldsmobile, remember those, that didn't sticker for $24K - I'd have to stay in the "Used Car" section, anyone have a good used HEMI b-body for around $3K?  :cheers:

I stayed below the '07 RAM price   :thinking:

6bblgt

it would look just about like this  :takealook:  with a roof (minus the HEMI, spoiler, flip-top, 15" wheels & exchange the chrome mirrors for "top banana")

1 Wild R/T

Not really following your rules but I daily drove this for years.... Drove it everywhere, rain or shine.... I wish I still had it....

YYZ

Would have gone for a loaded '70 'Cuda 340 ragtop.

FC7 V3W PRXW
PW, PS, PDB, PTop
A/C, Cruise
4-speed, console, pedal dressup
AM/FM
Shoulder belts (Deluxe if possible -- though I think that the two options would have cancelled one another out)
Elastomerics
Rallye dash
6 way seat
No spoiler, no luggage rack
Rim Blow
15x7 rallyes
Undercoating

ec_co

current dailies would put me in the used lot, couldn't even afford the base model I have now, lol. however, once I'm done the '70 will be my mostly daily ..... divide that MSRP by 8 and I'm really hosed  :smile:
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

anlauto

This question is not really straight forward because the word "dream" should not be included with the words "daily driver"  :alan2cents:

Knowing what we know now....nobody will chose a Hemi or six pack as a daily driver...so there goes the idea of a TA or AAR as well.....Does the dream of owning a convertible really suitable for the Winter climate ??? Is fancy stripes, spoilers, shaker hoods, 15" wheels REALLY necessary for a "daily driver" ?

Using the MSRP of my current daily driver, dividing it by eight, adjusting it for CDN-USD exchanged based on today's rate....I could likely still buy two E Bodies... :looney:

My car would definitely be a 1971 Plymouth. My practical daily driver would likely be a 318 Auto Barracuda, but since you added the would dream, I would say a fully loaded high impact 340 four speed Cuda, or a 1971 Hemicuda convertible for investment purposes  :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

I may be one of the few to have both of my dream cars. My 71 Challenger 340 Shaker convertible I bought in 1972 for $1950 was my dream car. Sticker price was $4187. If I were to order it today, I'd add the S77 power steering at $106.95, B51 power brakes at $41.55 and upgrade the AM radio/cassette to AM/FM Cassette which would up the cost by $136 for a total of $4472. I ordered my 2015 Challenger R/T Shaker at a cost of $37,980 which divided by 8 is $4747. I paid what I could afford both times. Yes, I drove the convertible as my daily driver for years through all types of weather including snow. It was practical for me, turned heads and was fun and the girls I dated loved it including my wife of 44 years. I now have 47,000 miles on the 2015 and drove it to work daily until retirement in October 2018. I'll add a few photos.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

Dan's is decent, I would drop the A/C, change the colour and add E60's and PDB.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on May 17, 2020, 05:37:59 AM
This question is not really straight forward because the word "dream" should not be included with the words "daily driver"  :alan2cents:

Knowing what we know now....nobody will chose a Hemi or six pack as a daily driver...so there goes the idea of a TA or AAR as well.....Does the dream of owning a convertible really suitable for the Winter climate ??? Is fancy stripes, spoilers, shaker hoods, 15" wheels REALLY necessary for a "daily driver" ?

Using the MSRP of my current daily driver, dividing it by eight, adjusting it for CDN-USD exchanged based on today's rate....I could likely still buy two E Bodies... :looney:

My car would definitely be a 1971 Plymouth. My practical daily driver would likely be a 318 Auto Barracuda, but since you added the would dream, I would say a fully loaded high impact 340 four speed Cuda, or a 1971 Hemicuda convertible for investment purposes  :haha:

Not everyone lives in CanaDuh.... Convertibles are great daily drivers here in California... And why wouldn't/couldn't you daily drive an AAR-T/A?   Plenty of R/T's worked as daily drivers for many years..... Back in the 70's & early 80's I drove my U code R/T SE as a daily driver, it would have been cheaper to park it & buy something more fuel efficient which is what I did in late 83... But the Challenger was more fun...

Not many Hemi's did but if your hard core enough you could....

JS29

:iagree: In 1979 and part of 1980 until my brother got a hold of the keys, my 383 4-speed challenger was my daily driver.  :yes:

6bblgt

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 17, 2020, 11:46:56 AM
Dan's is decent, I would drop the A/C, change the colour and add E60's and PDB.

this thread was spawned over on Dodge-Charger, someone pointed out the lack of A/C & I live in Las Vegas - it would be a necessity (EB7 would save me $14, but a lighter color is also necessary in the desert, an extra $125 in the budget would help - it's just not there)

the thought was - at your current earning potential and sensible current choice for a daily driver, revert to 1970 & buy a car (without restrictions, everyone goes for the $5500 hemi'cuda convertible, which ~30 of 3-million 1970-'71 Chrysler Corp. vehicles were - IMO not realistic)

all of these cars were ordered & driven as daily drivers - it just the ultra-rare were and are that rare, they are not the 1%ers they are in the 0.001% range & many were still 1-car families

anlauto

Mr. Wild is right, living in different areas sure would make a difference....a lot of people around here who buy a nice car, such as a convertible put them away for the Winter, so I wouldn't consider it a daily driver....I think back in 1970, choosing an AAR or TA or Hemi car as a true "daily driver" would be equivalent to buying a  new Hellcat today....sure it would be a great car to have, but not a good choice as daily transportation  :alan2cents: again, I guess it wouldn't matter if you're not dealing with snow and ice. :dunno:

Would it be correct assume that all the "RARE" cars we love today are rare because they weren't practical for daily drivers back then....less people ordered them, less cars were manufactured and 50 years later, less cars exist and they are considered rare.

as a Footnote: Back in the late 80's I bought a 73 Barracuda for a "winter beater" and stored my 72 Cuda in a friends barn. :drunk:

I also drove my brand new 97 Sebring CONVERTIBLE year round...including the harsh CDN Winters.... :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on May 17, 2020, 01:14:59 PM
Would it be correct assume that all the "RARE" cars we love today are rare because they weren't practical for daily drivers back then....less people ordered them, less cars were manufactured and 50 years later, less cars exist and they are considered rare.

now we're getting it  :perfect10:

cuda hunter

Currently, my daily driver is an older truck.  So I technically can't play.
But when I was 18, I purchased a 1998 trans am black with t tops ws6.  1400 total made. 
Everyone I knew said that was ridiculous.  It took me some time to get one also.
I was young and pretty much poor.  but I figured a way into it.

So I would be one of those who ordered a "non reasonable" daily driver.
And the jerk in the dealership that would want some specials added to the car that would require approval from higher ups.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

technically I can't play my own game - I'd be shopping on the used car lot too

but if you use your T/A  @cuda hunter   - sticker was what? $29,950 divided by 8 = $3,743.75  :dunno:

would this fit the bill?  you will have to save for some studded snow tires before winter  :drinkingbud:  but the sure-grip should help keep you out of the ditch