Main Menu

cam selection

Started by 7E-Bodies, October 20, 2019, 03:33:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Can you tell me what cam to go with on an original 440 with stock heads and intake? Cam is the only thing non original on the engine. Planning to use the factory carter (fresh rebuild). Engine shop is suggesting hydraulic roller cam and porting. (their port guy is older and very recommended locally). My interest is in trying to stay stock yet to pick up 40-70 hp over factory spec. Engine is there but not apart yet so there's time.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Chryco Psycho

So you are using exhaust manifolds ?
I have made huge gains porting but I use a swirl design to increase efficiency without just making the ports a whole lot bigger
This one would be an excellent choice https://www.jegs.com/i/Lunati/638/10230702/10002/-1
it will make power everywhere & works well with stock exhaust manifolds

7E-Bodies

Yes, stock exhaust manifolds. I understand this limits me, but I want this pristine RT to pop as original when the hood is lifted. My gear head days are long behind me, but I want this car to answer when called.

dodj

I like the lunati 703LK  in my 440.
Recommended by CP.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

You could run the 703 cam for sure But with stock manifolds I suggest custom grinding it with a 112* LSA , it will work a lot better with stock manifolds this way

7E-Bodies

Shared the Voodoo info with my machine shop and got the following reply: "we've had some severe issues with Lunati Voodoo cams
had 2 different  engines on dyno with customer supplied Voodoo cams that would not rpm past 4800, they would spit and sputter badly
bought new cams from Custom Cams problem fixed
I'm sure there are guys that have had no issues, but we have so that's my take on Voodoo stuff irregardless of the specs
Mike"

Chryco Psycho

LOL I have only been using VooDoo cams for 20 years & A number of people on this site are running them from my recommendation with improvement in performance !!

7E-Bodies

Not in disagreement because I'm not studied in cams. There's still time. Have you heard anything bad about Custom Cams?

dodj

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on October 23, 2019, 05:48:21 AM
Have you heard anything bad about Custom Cams?
I have never heard of a camshaft company called Custom Cams. Did a google search and nothing showed up on the first two pages.
Is it a local company?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

This Lunati lives at 5500 through mud pits and everything else. Of course it has the correct valve springs in it. No street car takes the abuse this 440 does.
Sheldon

72 Challenger

I love lunati products and have used several for small block applications. I don't remember the specs but Chryco suggested them for both my 318 and 360 when we were still on that "Other site"
Someday I will have a J0b.

7E-Bodies

Reply from the shop owner:  "They are located in Mississippi. Was started by Terry Kirk and his son Tommy. Terry worked for Lunati several years ago. I knew him since his Lunati days. Terry has since passed away.
They primarily sell to engine shops and race teams. All cams are made to order. Their cams are ground on house, not outsourced. They do not have shelf grinds. Do a lot of private label, proprietary secret grind cams.
They stay low profile to keep tire kickers away. No web page but I think they do have a Facebook page.
He keeps big block Mopar cam cores in stock.
Anyway that's the short story."

Cuda Cody

I feel stock engines do best with a Mr. Six Pack cam.  Bob has a great grind.

Chryco Psycho

I have made incredible power using Lunati lobes in custom grind situations , the off the shelf grinds work well also as many here can tell you from personal experience .
I like to have the valves open & close fast this allows more flow for the same duration , Mopars can take advantage of this as they have a wider lifter .
One of the main keys to making good power using stock manifolds is using a wider LSA , with headers the vacuum created with the exhaust pulse leaving will pull in intake A/F mix  , with manifolds you do not create the vacuum so you need less overlap where both valves are open at the same time . So 112-114 LSA works well with manifolds , 110-108 works better with headers .
I used a lot of Ultradyne cam grinds in the past as they seemed to maximize the lift / duration but they are long gone now .
Your call , You askd  :bigthumb: