Main Menu

470 Stroker Cam Selection

Started by dakota1, July 09, 2022, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dakota1

I have a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda that the previous owner installed a 470 Stroker motor, backed by A833 4 Speed and 3.54 Dana Rear End.  My goal for the car is a strong reliable street car that will be driven between 1000 - 2000 miles a year. 

One of the roller lifters has went bad and has destroyed the current cam.  It does sound like I will probably be rebuilding the 470 since I caught this early and there wasn't a ton of damage other than cam and lifter.  If I replace the cam, I think I would like to move to Hydraulic Roller Cam and Hydraulic Lifters for low maintenance.  I am considering the Comp Cams XR292 Here is the sales info on that cam.  Please let me know what you think regarding how this would work in this 470 Stroker with 4 Speed and 3.54 Dana Rear End.  The car has Edelbrock 75cc Performer RPM Heads that have been ported by Valley Porting years ago and they are now are 83cc according to the machine shop and it has Harland Sharpe 1.5 Rockers.  According to Machine Shop current setup should be about 10.23 compression ratio, Ross Pistons, 3.915 Stroke, 6.535 Rod length. 
Sales rep at 440 source recommended this cam for my scenario... but I would like to see what others think?   I would like this to create a fun, strong, street car that creates between 575 - 625 HP and TQ.  I also plan to run Holley Sniper EFI, MSD Ignition, and Pro Billet Distributor.  The car had an older FAST EFI system that I plan to replace, so it already has upgraded Tank, In-Tank fuel pump and such.   Any advice will be greatly appreciated!  I'm looking to see if this would be a good cam or if maybe I should consider something larger or smaller or all around different. 
Thanks,
dakota

cam:
Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Retrofit Cam - 242/248 - 549/.544
This is our mid sized choice from Comp Cams, which works great for most street/strip stroker motor applications. In a 500/512" stroker, this cam will make power from about 2500-6500. The .549/.544 " lift and 242 intake and 248 exhaust duration at .050" allows for nice low end power without giving up strong pulling up top. These are ground on a 110 degree lobe separation angle. We'd use about a 2500 stall, and some decent rear end gears (3.55-4.10 for the street.)

lifters:
Howards Cams 100% USA Made retrofit hydraulic roller lifters are true high performance street lifters designed primarily for ease of maintenance and reliability. They "drop into" a stock block with no machine work or oil system mods required, and work with all the steel billet hydraulic roller cams we sell, regardless of brand. The lifters are CNC-machined and then fitted with precision check ball internal valving to prevent lifter "pump up." These features combine to provide a broader power band and increased rpm potential, while still offering the low maintenance of a hydraulic cam. These are designed for street performance enthusiasts who want to upgrade to a hydraulic roller camshaft. They are manufactured to fit early or late model blocks, including blocks with tall lifter bosses. Howards Cams uses cold form technology to shape their bodies for durability. The lifters are then carbonitrided and tempered for hardness. They also feature hardened and tempered steel alloy roller wheels, heat-treated stainless steel cross bars, and high-alloy steel tie bar buttons. Howards Cams Street series retrofit hydraulic roller lifters are specifically designed for street applications up to 6,500 rpm.

Thanks
dakota

dakota1

I noticed my post above had some pretty generic or basic information about the Comp Cams XR292, so here is the more detailed information from their website.  This cam was recommended by someone at 440 source.  I know it is a fairly big cam, but I also have read that stroker motors like this 470 make the cams seem smaller.  Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I am also open to other Roller Cam suggestions or recommendations if someone has another brand or cam that they would suggest.
Here are the specs from Comp Cams website:

Xtreme Energy 242/248 Hydraulic Roller Cam (3 Bolt) for Chrysler 383-440
Xtreme Energy™ 242/248 Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler 383-440 Pro Street/bracket racing. 4.10 Gear, 3000+ stall, 10:1 compression, very rough idle.
$489.95

Specifications
Print
Camshaft Material:
Valve Springs Required:
Assembly Lubricant Included:
Engine Family:Chrysler 383-440 c.i. 8 Cylinder (1959-1980)
RPM Operating Range:2,800-6,400
Grind Number:XR292HR-10
Cam Type:Hydraulic Roller
Lifter Style:Hydraulic Roller
Camshaft Series:Xtreme Energy
Usage:Street/Performance
California Proposition 65:WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm P65Warnings.ca.gov
Advertised Intake Duration:292
Advertised Exhaust Duration:300
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:242
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:248
Intake Valve Lift:0.549
Exhaust Valve Lift:0.544
Lobe Lift Intake:0.366
Lobe Lift Exhaust:0.363
Lobe Separation:110
Intake Centerline:106
Exhaust Close ATDC:10
Intake Open BTDC:15
Exhaust Open BBDC:58
Intake Close ABDC:47
Camshaft Gear Attachment:3-Bolt

Let me hear your thoughts, opinions, and recommendations
Thanks,
dakota

70Barracuda

I have a 496, 833, Dana, 3.54 also.  When I talked with two well known builders, they both said, stay away from Hyd roller cams in BBM.  Both said mechanical flat is the way to go.  You already have great rockers. 
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

dakota1

Quote from: 70Barracuda on July 10, 2022, 11:09:21 AM
I have a 496, 833, Dana, 3.54 also.  When I talked with two well known builders, they both said, stay away from Hyd roller cams in BBM.  Both said mechanical flat is the way to go.  You already have great rockers.

Did the builders expand on why they felt this way?
I've heard comments like this before, but I would like low maintenance and I just can't imagine any reason why mechanical flat tappet could ever be a better choice than roller?  I'm not a motor guy by any means, but it just seems like rollers would be so much better due to less friction and less wear and such.  Either way, I appreciate you taking time to share your experience.  You could certainly be right, since I am rebuilding a motor that had solid rollers in it due to a roller going bad...
dakota

Chryco Psycho

I have installed many solid flat tappet cams with a better profile than this without the cost of using rollers , in street use the engine needs to rev often to keep the rollers lubricated , there is no lube other than splash fed , I have heard there are rollers with a small pin hole in the bottom to help keep the rollers oiled .
I bet you can find a better grind designed for long rod Mopar engines from Lunati or Engle also .

dakota1

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 10, 2022, 08:31:44 PM
I have installed many solid flat tappet cams with a better profile than this without the cost of using rollers , in street use the engine needs to rev often to keep the rollers lubricated , there is no lube other than splash fed , I have heard there are rollers with a small pin hole in the bottom to help keep the rollers oiled .
I bet you can find a better grind designed for long rod Mopar engines from Lunati or Engle also .

Chryco Psycho - I have read your write up on cam selection tips and you seem very knowledgeable on the subject.  Thank you for taking the time to do that write up and share your knowledge with the rest of us.
Based on the information I posted at the top of the thread, I would love to hear your thoughts on what you would use for a cam if this was your build?  I was thinking rollers for less wear and less maintenance, but a few different posts and things that I'm reading point back to solid flat.  Is there a Lunati Cam or other cam that you think would work well for this 470 build given the info I have? 
Thanks,
dakota

Chryco Psycho

I have built a lot of engines with every type of cam , every type has benefits & drawbacks .   EDM
In my engine I custom ground a solid flat tappet cam from Lunati , it has similar specs to a mild roller & works extremely well so that was the route I chose .
I believe the grinds I used are still available as a custom grind but I have not bought one for a few years now , Typically I was working with lobes in the .550 - .580 lift range & 240-252* duration .
Rollers can use any oil but may starve if idled a lot unless you can get EDM type lifters to oil the rollers , Flat tappets have to use SJ oils / high ZDDP.
I can caall you if you want to talk .