Main Menu

Car Pricing

Started by money pit, February 20, 2022, 10:33:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

money pit

Good Morning. I don't intend this post to be an ad to sell my car so I didn't include photos. This is NOT a RESTORATION. It is a Barracuda, NOT A CUDA. The car was originally a slant six. It has a rebuilt 360, rebuilt 727 trans, new driveshaft. It has a Borgeson steering box. The front end has been rebuilt, new brakes. The rear end is rebuilt 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears and posi. New paint, new interior including the dash, new T/A radials. All rust has been repaired. I have photos of the repairs and receipts of all major parts. I also have a lot of extra parts. I want to sell it because I have another project in mind. Is it out of the question to ask $42K for my car? 

JH27N0B

First of all, what year?  Makes a big difference '71s bring most, 70 brings more than 72-74.

money pit

JS29

What color inside and out? rallye dash, hood, floor or column shift. it would help if you posted pictures.   :alan2cents: 

money pit

Floor shift, slap stick, Black interior, metallic blue exterior.

money pit

Here are some pictures.

money pit

I forgot to mention it has TTI exhaust, Vintage air AC, three point seat belts, and Autometer gauges.

HP2

I think $42k is a bit optimistic. It looks like a solid driver quality, in a cool old body.  To restore it further or clone it into something else, the buyer would be throwing a fair bit more money at it on top of the purchase price.

Here is my logic around it, its a cool old car, but in the cool old car world, it has nothing particularly outstanding about it, no pedigree,  a number of items that would need to be replaced for a restoration, and a number of things that need replaced to make it a hot street machine. Therefore, as a more pedestrian muscle car, it likely wouldn't value any higher than the average used car price for a good solid driver quality late model vehicle.

If I had to throw a number on it, I'd say $26k probably no more than $32k if you find someone who really wants it. Looking through our for sale section, there were a few listed in this range for non original engines upgrades that overall were very clean rebuilds that appeared stock.  Others that were rougher but had a larger or special engine pedigree were also in this range. Once you start hitting the $40k range, things get pretty nice, pretty quick.

Mopsquad

If the body is solid and indeed rust free under the paint and underneath, that is worth something.  You may dress up and cleanup the engine compt with some stock looking items.  Maybe 340 style breather (expensive) and valve covers.  Perhaps a retro style battery cover with the caps.  I'd say you'd get 35-37K with not too much more investment.

anlauto

I agree, I think $42K is a little optimistic, but you won't get $35K if you only ask $28K .... :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

money pit

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will keep it for a while. Just in parts and bodywork I have more than 33K invested. I know you can't expect to get what you put in it. So, I'll just keep it and enjoy it.