Main Menu

PRICING - RockAuto vs Goodmark ???

Started by anlauto, January 09, 2020, 07:47:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Okay, so I just read in the current "bumper" thread that a member from here purchased a Goodmark Bumper from Rockauto.

Just Monday this week I purchased a pair of classic wiper blades from Rockauto which were listed as "Goodmark" parts....I thought it was interesting and didn't realize their parts were sold through Rockauto, and the price (with shipping) seemed reasonable.

You have to realize living in Canada the shipping is usually the killer... :canada:

However, in the next town over from me is Cross Canada, a LKO company and the main Canadian distributor for aftermarket body panels including the full Goodmark line. Whenever I want Goodmark parts, I can get them fairly easy with a 25 min drive one way..

So just now ... I thought I would do a little price comparison just for my own curiosity, what I found was SHOCKING !!!
Keep in mind, ALL prices are in Canadian dollars.

GMK4012242683 Wiper Blades

Cross Canada = $22.55 each plus 13% tax plus 50 minutes of driving. The pair would be $50.96 CDN
Rockauto = $12.70 each plus taxes and shipping, delivered to my door. The pair cost me $38.75 CDN

That's a savings of $12.21 CDN or 24% using @RockAuto

GMK212000070A Bumper Bar (71 Challenger)

Cross Canada = $414.69 each plus 13% tax = $468.60 CDN
Rockauto = $225.28 plus shipping/tax etc... =$285.84 CDN to my door !

That's almost half price ! :looney:

I didn't even count the E-Bodies.org discount... :yes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Important note I forgot to mention....The wiper blades I received today came from the Cross Canada warehouse the next town over from me and I received them in three days.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Katfish

Awesome savings, I've always found RockAuto's prices to be the lowest.

Cuda Cody

They do seems to have good pricing on a lot of stuff.

Brads70

Alan, have to installed the goodmark rear bumper on a 70 Challenger?  How do they fit? If so do you have any pictures?
@anlauto

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on January 10, 2020, 03:52:28 AM
Alan, have to installed the goodmark rear bumper on a 70 Challenger?  How do they fit? If so do you have any pictures?
@anlauto

Pretty sure the Goodmark bumpers are the Keystone bumpers, if so, yes I've used plenty of them and posted many pictures over the years. I'm sure they don't fit as well as you would like. :alan2cents: This is the only rear Challenger bumper I've purchased from Cross Canada...the others came from Roseville Moparts

kawahonda

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

gzig5

Quote from: Katfish on January 09, 2020, 08:03:06 PM

Their prices are low, but the shipping in the US can be a deal breaker.  I've put together several shopping carts over the last year at RA and had to dump them each time because the shipping costs overran the good pricing.  The apparently only ship certain items from certain locations and an order of 10-12 items may end up coming from five different warehouses and you are charged shipping from each one. The misc parts to rebuild my rear drum brakes ended up being almost $40 in shipping and that was only small parts, no rotors or drums.  I love their pricing and selection but I think they need to work on their distribution strategy.  I have a real hard time with companies that use shipping as a profit generating mechanism. 

anlauto

Quote from: kawahonda on January 10, 2020, 06:57:56 AM
So it's better to rechrome original?

A re-chromed original will always likely be better then a reproduction, but around here in Ontario Canada to re-chrome one bumper cost around $1100.00 CDN nowadays.

anlauto

Quote from: gzig5 on January 10, 2020, 07:06:03 AM
Quote from: Katfish on January 09, 2020, 08:03:06 PM

Their prices are low, but the shipping in the US can be a deal breaker.  I've put together several shopping carts over the last year at RA and had to dump them each time because the shipping costs overran the good pricing.  The apparently only ship certain items from certain locations and an order of 10-12 items may end up coming from five different warehouses and you are charged shipping from each one. The misc parts to rebuild my rear drum brakes ended up being almost $40 in shipping and that was only small parts, no rotors or drums.  I love their pricing and selection but I think they need to work on their distribution strategy.  I have a real hard time with companies that use shipping as a profit generating mechanism.
Next time you're in this situation, try separating the items into different orders to see if that helps. I've done this recently and it did help a little bit.

JS29

There is a place in Syracuse NY about sixty miles from me. Two years ago it cost about four hundred and fifty dollars or so to do a seventy two La-manse front bumper.  beautiful job, about two months turn around time.   :twothumbsup:

RUNCHARGER

Alan: You're lucky LKQ stocks parts over there. They aren't so good on the Wet Coast, all the old stuff has to come from Kansas City and it takes 2 weeks (or never) that includes the popular Chevelle and Camaro stuff. I pretty much called them as a last resort.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 10, 2020, 08:24:34 AM
Alan: You're luck LKQ stocks parts over there. They aren't so good on the Wet Coast, all the old stuff has to come from Kansas City and it takes 2 weeks (or never) that includes the popular Chevelle and Camaro stuff. I pretty much called them as a last resort.

Yea Sheldon...The place here in Brampton had Challenger fenders, valances, door skins, etc...just sitting on the shelf....I call in the morning, pick it up that afternoon.. :dunno:

RUNCHARGER

One thing I remember is the MOST annoying recording ever on LKQs phone lines. Their local agent gave good service though, their core business is more recent vehicle collision parts of course so I can't fault them for stocking those parts rather than the old stuff. I'm sure they have a bigger warehouse back east.
Sheldon

kawahonda

Quote from: anlauto on January 10, 2020, 07:26:34 AM
Quote from: kawahonda on January 10, 2020, 06:57:56 AM
So it's better to rechrome original?

A re-chromed original will always likely be better then a reproduction, but around here in Ontario Canada to re-chrome one bumper cost around $1100.00 CDN nowadays.

I actually am 30 miles from a great chroming shop that has competitive pricing. They strictly say on the website to not expect to save money re-chroming originals, because it's just about never the case. However, the prices they charge in my experience of triple plated jobs are pretty reasonable. I suspect if they can re-chrome my rear bumper (and brackets) for $800 then that would probably be a win....not sure how much aftermarket bumpers go for. They list a price range of "$275-1500".

My front bumper is pretty decent. Rear bumper has lots of the chrome worn off. I don't remember seeing any pitted metal or dings though. I'll look closely and perhaps send them some pics for a rough estimate.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66