Main Menu

Classic Mopar Market Health

Started by Marc70challenger, January 17, 2018, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Here is where I believe you are wrong. Because the high end and mid high end cars get bid up- this drags other muscle car prices upward. As I stated before, watch the market crash as so does the muscle car market - and it may never come back like we have recently seen for all the reasons folks have already mentioned.

Show me your everyday Joe middle class buyer at Mecum or BJ auctions on a Sat/Sun and I'll show you a leprechaun riding a unicorn.

:haha:

Quote from: Marc70challenger on January 18, 2018, 01:06:59 PM
Quote from: 72 Challenger on January 18, 2018, 10:38:26 AM
I think the biggest thing I have noticed since I started quasi watching is that the former drag race cars and factory lightweights seem to be losing traction? They are some of my favourites but I think as the age of people who own muscle cars shifts younger they have less connection to those vintage light weight cars.

Let's hope 72's are up overall!

Good point. As we grow older, I think specific segments of this market will shift   

Big cat buyers may have some influence on the high end. But there's much more to the market than them.

If I remember correctly, Haggerty sees the average of the overall market somewhere +/-  $20 k. That's not where people who have large disposable incomes play.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

RzeroB

+ +

:unbelievable:   :takealook:

:bravo:  :woohoo:

:rofl:  :haha:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

BIGSHCLUNK

Eventually there will be a glut on the market. prices will fall. There will be that exemption of "certain" examples. Many guys are members of the OTH gang , BIGS included. As we go the demand for most part will go with it. I remember when 59 Caddies were bringing ALL THE MONEY.What happened? Those guys are at least 80 or dead.............

ToxicWolf

It really gets complicated when you realize that some people buy these cars because they are fun to drive ... go on cruises ... And some people buy them as long term investments.  Cruise people go for the restomods and investors want the numbers matching originals. It's all supply and demand.  :thinking:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 19, 2018, 09:15:02 AM
I think the market is trending to restomod's with the new crate engines and the options around FI.  The restomods are the best of both worlds; a new engine, some with even a warranty, in a classic muscle car.  You get the performance and reliability, and have a cool car that stands out for the 30k other Challengers and Camaros out there.

For FI, just look at how many choices we have now that did not exist just 3-4 years ago, and these swaps are becoming easier and more affordable every year.  The knowledge and experience of how to dial-in and tune a carbureted classic car is dying.  Along with no shop classes as mentioned earlier, the younger generations do not have the knowledge or willingness to learn.

I agree. Cars like ours really are a prime target for the non-baby-boomer buyer that wants something classic, but not the annoyances of carburetion, oil leaks and dismal fuel economy.

My car gets a LOT of interest by folks a bit younger than me (30) at the local Cars & Coffee event. That group appreciates the car, but is quickly bored [or lost] with the dinosaur engines they came with. It's fun to talk with them about the build, how it has traction control, ~20mpg, hydraulic clutch, air conditioning, etc, etc. The paint mark restoration cars will hold value with those that still have money to burn, but the ones caught in the middle will likely lose out before too long. They'll somewhat turn into T-buckets....

Just my 2cents!
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

roguedc72

It seems that if you want to make money in a classic muscle car, build a 67-69 camaro,for the life of me I can't figure why people aren't bored to death with these cars! A big block 69 camaro will pull twice the money, if not more, than a big block 70 mustang or cuda or challenger. I swear every 69 camaro chevy ever built has been put back on the road.

ToxicWolf

Quote from: roguedc72 on January 25, 2018, 05:31:14 PM
It seems that if you want to make money in a classic muscle car, build a 67-69 camaro,for the life of me I can't figure why people aren't bored to death with these cars! A big block 69 camaro will pull twice the money, if not more, than a big block 70 mustang or cuda or challenger. I swear every 69 camaro chevy ever built has been put back on the road.

I agree. And the 69 camaro pace car convertible is still on my list of dream cars.   :looney:

Brads70

Quote from: roguedc72 on January 25, 2018, 05:31:14 PM

:thinking:  I don't get that? Must just be me.  If I had to choose between the 2  platforms ,I'd much rather have a Firebird/Trans Am . Much better looking car IMO.  To me a Camaro is like wanting a taxi cab as they are so common. The only Camaro that I thought was even close to nice was the Iroc years? 

750-h2

Did you guys see that silver 1969 Z/28 that sold at BJ last week. Nice OE restoration but no cross ram or rear disc brakes yet with auction fees it sold for over $200,000! :drunk: Remember this is not a rare car as they made approx. 20,000 of them in 69.

blown motor

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 24, 2018, 08:12:57 PM
Eventually there will be a glut on the market. prices will fall. There will be that exemption of "certain" examples. Many guys are members of the OTH gang , BIGS included. As we go the demand for most part will go with it. I remember when 59 Caddies were bringing ALL THE MONEY.What happened? Those guys are at least 80 or dead.............

Exactly. That's why I drive mine all I can. It won't be worth a lot when I'm done with it anyways.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel