Main Menu

Power Steering Pump Question for AAR/TA Owners

Started by DocDave, February 10, 2020, 08:05:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

DocDave

I need help on restoring my Power Steering pump to original. It started leaking so I bought a reproduction unit at local parts store. I plan to get the original rebuilt or replace with a correct rebuilt pump. Since I've only owned the car a year I'm not sure if this is the original pump. It appears to be a Federal type, round reservoir and round fill tube. I believe the Saginaw pump had an oval fill tube which was rounded for the cap.

Please look at the power steering pump on your AAR or TA. Which power steering pump do you have? Photos would be helpful.
If you have a 1970 Barracuda (non AAR/TA) built at Hamtramck which pump do you have?

The Question is: Did Plymouth use both brands on the AAR/TA at Hamtramck?
What do the numbers on the pump tell us?
Is there a Date Code on it?

DocDave - Retired so I can play

anlauto

I bought an AAR that came in pieces, but here is the pump that came with it. The two AAR's I've restored since this one, have been manual steering...sorry  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DocDave

Thanks for the quick reply. The rusty one looks like mine. Thanks

6bblgt

340 4bbl & AAR - T/A E-bodies used a Federal power steering pump in '70 - correct as pictured above @anlauto  :twothumbsup:
340 4bbl (w/3.55 "A36" and 3.91 "A31") & all AAR - T/A E-bodies with power steering also used the cooler as shown

DocDave

71383bee

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 10, 2020, 09:52:57 AM
340 4bbl & AAR - T/A E-bodies used a Federal power steering pump in '70 - correct as pictured above @anlauto  :twothumbsup:
340 4bbl (w/3.55 "A36" and 3.91 "A31") & all AAR - T/A E-bodies with power steering also used the cooler as shown

My 73 has the A36 package and has the Federal with the cooler. 

Whats more rare is pressurized hose! 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

DocDave

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 10, 2020, 09:52:57 AM

Thanks. That is great info. Now do you or anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit? I've found  a bunch for the Saginaw pump, none for Federal.

DocDave

Quote from: AARclone on February 13, 2020, 04:17:44 PM
Have you tried Rockauto? I think that's where I got mine

Good answer but Yes, 6 Saginaw, 3 Chrysler and 0 Federal. Now if the Chryslers are Federal in disguise let me know. Better yet give me a link to someone's page that sells them.

71383bee

Quote from: AARclone on February 13, 2020, 10:07:34 PM
If you look in the service manual they have rebuild information on a .94 pump and a 1.06 pump when you look at the pictures of the pumps the .94  looks just like the Saginaw. The 1.06 looks like the  Federal.  I think the Federal and the Chrysler are the same pump. I would assume if they used a third pump and it was different from the other 2 it would be in the service manual, but I am not 100% positive on that

I agree.  I thought Chrysler = Federal.

I had my original rebuild through Bumper to Bumper.  They had a deal with their pump re-builder that they can tag it a specific way and they will rebuild your supplied core.  It was around $60 as i recall.  Got mine back and all the numbers matched so i assume they did as promised. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top