Main Menu

where do i begin?

Started by booyaballer, December 17, 2017, 11:47:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

booyaballer

Looking for some advise/recommendation on the plan of attack for my 70 Challenger. What order should I do the following:
- change to manual 4 speed transmission (not sure if i have know how to do myself)
- upgrade front suspension to Hotchkis TVS (i've already upgraded rearend)
- new carpet/soundeadning
- redo electrical
- change to disc brakes (probably Willwood)
- new 15" or larger wheels
- add Air Conditioning

Thank for the feedback!

Dakota

Can you say a few more words about where you're starting from and what you want to achieve?   Some of what you have listed is straightforward, but a lot of it is not.   Going to 15" tires is generally not a big deal but this can get complicated depending on how much rubber you're trying to squeeze into the wheel well.   A change from auto to manual can touch a lot depending on your starting point - auto floor shift or column shift?  A/C addition where it didn't exist before can be done, but that will involve pulling the dash among many other tasks.

I don't have the Hotchkis TVS but I definitely looked at it a couple of years ago.   Aside from the wheels, that is probably the most straightforward addition to your car based on your list.   Most of the regular members on this site have tons more experience than I do, but my 2 cents is this:  there is no such thing as a "small project" on old cars:  pull the carpet to put in sound deadener... oh, the floorboard is rusty... and before you know it, the UPS driver is your new best friend.

I have absolutely no regrets for going down this road, especially given the great advice I've received from other members of this site.   Just go into your upgrade efforts with your eyes open.

Brads70

I guess it depends on your budget, carpet is different from auto to 4 speed so you only want to buy things once I would think.
4 speed and A/C would be your biggest expenses. If your wanting factory
correct" results it is more expensive ( Thinking of the A/C)   
I'd start with the things that will keep the car reliable, if the electrical is an issue I'd start there.
DrDiff is great to work with, I'd consider him for your brake upgrades.
http://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/rear/

You need to define what your goals are, if you want a better than stock handling and braking then you should look at 17" or better yet 18" rubber as there is not many options for good rubber in 15" other than a cruiser.   

anlauto

Yes, depends on your budget. Personally I would plan on taking a Summer off from driving the car and plan to do it all at once so you're not doing things twice.
You need to be prepared that this project will snowball and cost you twice the amount you think it will. IE: like finding rust or broken parts other things up want to up grade, etc...

First order ALL the parts you need, read all the instructions and understand what modifications need to be done and how they intertwine with each other...Sounds like at least $20,000.00 worth of modifications you want to do

I would start by gutting the interior....take the seats, carpet and complete dash assembly out of the car....The floor will need cutting and welding as well the firewall will need work for the AC...
Then the suspension brakes etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Welcome to the site!  Sounds like some great upgrades!   :banana:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

303 Mopar

After going through a couple of iterations, I would look at it in this order:
- Pick a direction you want to take your car and a budget and stick with it.  Do you want a straight line strip car that is also street friendly?  Do you want a street only car to cruise to shows? Do you want a resto-mod that handles well? Do you want "day 2" car just for messing around on the street?
- Make the car safe and reliable first. Look at brakes, shocks, bushings, steering, wheels/tires, anything on the engine that is not working correctly, and electrical. If something needs to be rebuilt/replace like your current transmission, then you can consider swapping to an 833 or 5 speed depending on budget and preference.
- The best bang for your buck is steel tube subframe connectors.  These make your car more solid, everything fits better, it will feel more solid and handle better.
- Like most everything you can buy the top of the line performance parts that are overkill unless you are going to seriously autocross or drag race your car, or you can buy more affordable parts that are still a vast improvement over stock.
- Spend time cruising the threads here.  There are a lot of great ideas, knowledge and lessons learned so you won't make the same mistakes.  And by all means, ask questions.  The only dumb question is the one not asked, so now is the time.
- For all parts check with @MoparDave first for the best price and good sound advice.

dave73

I just finished up the majority of what you are planning with the exception of a portion of the electrical and AC. I second the point to let us know budget and where you are starting from, might make a big difference. Brads example of the auto vs. 4 speed carpet, engine bay wiring harness is different for an auto I believe? driveshaft length, etc.

I started with a running driving 3 speed, 318. Car was really solid so I was able to do body work and keep it on the road for the first year or so. I put on 15" wheels while I was driving it - went as big as I could go without modifications to keep that simple. Doesn't sound like you are planning a full blown disassembly resto so I'd plan on keeping it running and driving as long as possible.  Last winter I dropped the K member to pull the motor and trans and rebuild the suspension. For what you are going to do, I'd do the same and fully assemble as much as you can outside the car to make life easier. I started stock piling parts for about a year before I started so when I did tear into it, I had what I needed to complete. My biggest fear was starting, then life getting in the way of the budget and before I knew it, my car couldn't be driven for a few years.

MoparDave

Welcome.  Sounds like your building a nice Ride..
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

MikeMikeMike

I would second (third?) the comments about taking some time to understand the scope of the snowball effect. If I had researched it more, I may not have switched to disc brakes (wilwood) after finding that I had to also get aftermarket lines, distribution valve and master cylinder. Same goes for all the other mods on your list.

One suggestion would be to go with OEM stuff where possible. Like the disc brakes, just use the disc set up originally designed for the e bodies with that option.  :alan2cents:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

Rich G.

I'd do the 4 speed conversion first. My reason is it's probably the biggest change you'll notice when your done. Also it's the most involved job since there is a lot to change and all the parts are readily available. Biggest thing is putting the shifter tunnel floor piece in. After that everything else you want to do will be a piece of cake. Good luck!

jordan

You have a big project planned out.  Gut the interior, pull the dash, drop the trans, pull all the suspension and brakes.  Redo all of the accessories.  Lots of work.  Lots of money.  Lots of time if you are not a professional.  You might as well add the chassis stiffners to get the most out of the Hotchkis parts.  If you do the shock tower braces, you will end up painting the engine compartment.  That is a job!!  Plus drilling or filling holes to put in AC through the firewall.  If you redo all the wiring including the dash and engine compartment, and you have the dash out, will you want to restore the gauges?   If you go with Vintage Air, there will be a bit of a fudge factor getting all of your accessories lined up and perfect.  Maybe a new radiator to help keep it all cool?   If you are redoing the brakes, how about HydroBoost?  More money and maybe a different steering pump.  Might as well upgrade the steering box to maximize the Hotchkis too.  I don't know anything about 4 spd transmissions, but I did put an aftermarket auto in mine.  They usually don't just bolt in with out some headache of some sort. 

All of these mods will cost you time and money.  More of each than you think.  You will have to draw a line to stop the madness or dive in all the way and restomod the whole car.  Its hard to do some of it.  New and shiny parts make old parts stand out.  Good luck and keep up with the questions.  This is a great site with lots of great knowledgable people. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

nsmall

:iagree:

This is really good advice you were given.  Do you have any sort of a financial idea of what this will cost? If you can't do it all yourself :takemymoney:.  Someone will be taking your money.

I'm only 30k over my original plan.  I wish there was an emoji for some young guy crying. Nevermind, just found one.:crying:

It's okay.  I'm enjoying myself, that snowball is real though. 

RUNCHARGER

Is the car driveable now? If not and you are doing all of this before driving it I would do the hardest task first. If you are driving it I would think safety first, In this case I would repair the wiring then probably suspension and brakes, No matter what the carpet has to follow the 4 speed conversion. I would probably do the A/C last.
Sheldon