Main Menu

Dip stick tube and dipstick length on small block

Started by chargerdon, December 02, 2020, 05:45:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

On a small block 360...   How long should the dip stick be ?   and how long should the receiving tube be ?    I dont think im getting an accurate reading for my oil...   I had a chromed tube and stick on my previous block, but used the chromed tube on my new one, with what i think is a stock dip stick...   reads low after putting in the right amount of oil...5 qt..

nonfish

The tube should be about 6-3/4" long sticking out of the block.

Burdar

If you're using a stock pan, fill it with the correct amount of oil and re-mark the level on the stick.  Some years used a really long tube and stick.  I'm not sure what year your 360 is.  Best just to re-mark the correct level once you have it filled with the correct amount and have run the engine to fill the filter.

chargerdon

Quote from: Burdar on December 02, 2020, 07:49:45 AM
If you're using a stock pan, fill it with the correct amount of oil and re-mark the level on the stick.  Some years used a really long tube and stick.  I'm not sure what year your 360 is.  Best just to re-mark the correct level once you have it filled with the correct amount and have run the engine to fill the filter.

My block is a 1972 block originally was in a Satellite.

Thats good advice...  For the future...but my dipstick seems to be too short.   I've measured the chrome tube and its like 11"  not the 7 shown.   Another way of putting it is if my tube from block to top is 11" then how long should the stick be?   Or how many inches from the where the tube enters the block should the stick extend ?   

Ill gladly buy a new dipstick but not sure which to buy...   that would work with my chrome tube...   Wouldn't want to put in a shorter tube as it would then be very difficult to put in the stick...   

Jay Bee

If this helps any I measured mine , original 1970 318.
Tube from the block to the top is about 6 7/8.
Dipstick looks to be 16 13/16 from the bottom of the stop nub.

chargerdon

Thanks Jay Bee...yes, that helps...   My Dipstick is the same length just under 17".   But my chromed shaft is about 11 inches, or about 4 longer than a stock one.   So, i need to add about 4" to reach the same depth in the pan.   Or find a new one that length.   

This helps a lot...   

Burdar

IMO they look better when they are lower and don't stick up so high.  If you can remove the tube from the block, you can just cut it down to the shorter size.