Main Menu

Distributor Restoration and vacuum Advance advice/questions

Started by Bossgold, January 31, 2019, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bossgold

Need some advice:

I have searched this site and found a few posting(limited) to who people use for SB 340 REstoration services. The car is a 70 AAR 4 spd and I recently found a 3438521 cast iron dual point that needs to be restored. The car came with a 3438523 auto for some reason.

I have spoken to several 'restoration' shops( 2 in WI, 1 in RI) over the phone. Some are reasonable($300-450) and know how to curve the distributor, others do a nice restore but curve it to original Chrysler specs....and finally some know there topic but their prices are more than what I want to spend($700+). I want to keep the car as original as possible but a good distributor is key. So I thought I would reach out and see who you have used and your satisfaction level. How long it took and cost factor into the overall quality as well(If it takes a year....well)

Also, I was told there are two types of vacuum advance...which one is correct for the 70 AAR T/A distributors picture on left is for auto, right is 4 spd - thanks

Topcat

Crossram Connection makes the correct Repo tags for Prestolite Distributors.

Bill Rollick Enterprises has the Aluminum Distributor tags.

Tony's parts now sells the old style and later vacuum advance canisters.

kawahonda

Do not spend that much. Contact Faron Rhoads. 100 for the rebuild and recurve + whatever parts you need. If you’re anal about having 100% originality then you source and ship with the dizzy, otherwise he will source what works and looks correct.  He will curve it optimally for today’s gas and allow for the most advance.

I told him I want to stay with points, and he sourced some NOS accel points and he noted great stable ignition to 6500 rpm. He has a sun machine and 40 years of experience.

Dizzy comes back brand new. Vacuum canister gets replaced with one that doesn’t dump 20 degrees into your engine. You’ll be able to run it at a great advance. Built to your specs. Blown, stock, no problem....

totalperfentofpa@aol.com

@Cuda Cody, we really should make this guy’s email a sticky post. His work is impecible, and he will only charge half of what everyone else is charging.

I’d just hate to see people spend 2 to 3x going with someone else for at best the same quality work or worse, tossing their stock dizzy and getting cheap aftermarket stuff because they think it’s automattically better.

Consider shipping Faron a FBO mechanical plate along with your dizzy. I have a new new one I’m willing to sell. I like the idea behind it because it’s very reversible. My 340 dizzy didn’t need any mechanical adjustment...I got lucky.

Hope this helps

1970 Dodge Challenger A66