Main Menu

door panel difference's between 70 and 71 ?

Started by cuda hunter, May 30, 2022, 05:37:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

As the title asks, is there a difference between the 70 and 71 challenger door panels? 
Were there difference's between models as well?   

I'm familiar with cuda's, barracuda's and gran coupe door panel difference's.  colors, badges and auto/manual window and remote mirror hole.  Part number difference's on rear.

But for reproduction panels, is there a difference? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Early Challengers and Deputies did not have the woodgrain inserts although all the aftermarket Metro panels are cut out for them.... SE's and Leather interior cars came with carpet along the bottom, but they were the same plastic panel. Challenger also had the crank holes in a different location then the power window switches which is why the new panels have no holes.
There were/are several companies that had/have Metro panels, I don't think ones from BE&A were any different then from any other company... 

Of course we're not talking about the vacuum formed ones from Palco/Dashtop
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Thanks.  Sounds like dealing the parts and not producing them.  That's fine, I'm just tryin to figure out if there is a panel I have not seen.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

I didn't say that, he may of had financed the same company to produce a batch specifically for his company to sell, therefore "his products" , I don't now any specifics, I'm just speculating  :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Thank you for clearing that up.

So, no one knows.  I suppose the only person to ask would be Mike then. 

198D13

Regarding the "early" Challenger door panels. Unless a 1970 Challenger had a leather interior in it, or was an SE, it has door panels with no wood grain insert.  This changed in approximately January, 1970, after that all Challengers got woodgrain inserts in the panels, well,........except for the Deputy Challengers, which were introduced in late February of 1970. They never did. That ended in July of 1970, with the end of 1970 production. I think 1971 Deputies also had no inserts, but I'm not positive.

cuda hunter

Awesome!  That's what I needed to hear, well, read. 

318Stroker

Quote from: 198D13 on May 31, 2022, 07:09:54 AM
Regarding the "early" Challenger door panels. Unless a 1970 Challenger had a leather interior in it, or was an SE, it has door panels with no wood grain insert.  This changed in approximately January, 1970, after that all Challengers got woodgrain inserts in the panels, well,........except for the Deputy Challengers, which were introduced in late February of 1970. They never did. That ended in July of 1970, with the end of 1970 production. I think 1971 Deputies also had no inserts, but I'm not positive.

I'm sure glad they came out with the woodgrain. The panels without the woodgrain look awful... :thumbdown:

jt4406

........except for the Deputy Challengers, which were introduced in late February of 1970. They never did

I will have to wait until I can check at home, but I believe my May 70 production Deputy Challenger had the woodgrain inserts in the front door panels. I will get back to you guys on this one.

jess in ky
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

R/T's 4 R/P

From my ownership of cars, I would say the presence of wood grain on all door panels for Challengers started around Thanksgiving of 1969.
It bugs tme when people cut non-wood grain door panels to add wood grain, as there are only so many without that panel.
I'm in search of a great drivers, non woodgrain, non remote mirror hole panel!,
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT