Main Menu

Driving a 70 Challenger with standard steering and a big block

Started by SeventyTX9RTRag, May 04, 2019, 08:09:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

SeventyTX9RTRag

I am looking at buying the above, and I hate it does not have PS. I know I can install, but how brutal is it driving one of these cars with standard steering? How much should I budget to install an original style PS setup.

Thanks

70Barracuda

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

Floyd

I have a 440 manual trans e-body with manual steering.  I like how it feels on the road.  It's a bit of a work out in the drive way, but that adds to the charm.  I doubt I would feel the same about manual vs. power brakes though.

JS29

My barracuda is manual steering, shift and brakes. the trick is to get the car rolling before you turn the steering wheel, witch is what should be done anyway. (less strain on the ball sockets)  I like the feel of the car better than the over assisted power steering that came with it.   :alan2cents:

70Barracuda

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

GrandpaKevin

440 4 speed with manual steering and manual drum brakes and big 245/60-15 front tires.

I've been driving E-bodies like this for 40 years, I know their limitations and never really had any issues but doing a sideways burnout with one hand on the wheel and one shifting gears always puts a smile on my face. :burnout:

SeventyTX9RTRag

Chryco Psycho

I have had 3 cars with manual steering & brakes , love the feel of them

JH27N0B

My first car which I still have is my T/A and has manual steering.  The manual steering combined with the 60 series front tires became a "never again" thing when compiling my list of requirements for future car purchases over the years.  When rolling anything over 5 mph, no biggie, but at low speed like maneuvering into parking, especially stopped turning the wheel to back into a space, like backing into space at a car cruise, it's a pain in the butt wrestling with it.  I have a tight driveway and 28' wide garage, so I have to get my cars pretty precisely into their spaces to get 3 cars in there with proper spacing between them, maybe if I had a big pole barn with +/- 3 feet tolerance for getting a car into its parking it wouldn't be so bad, but for my situation it's a pet peeve.
I still remember when I had some rust repair done on my car in the early 80's, the guy at the body shop went to get my car for me after I paid my bill, and backed it crookedly into a parallel space in the street in front of the shop, hopped out and exclaimed "that's enough manual steering for me!".