Main Menu

Steering issue, car goes in the right side when driving

Started by Sly, March 13, 2017, 04:08:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Quote from: Bullitt- on March 13, 2017, 05:04:57 AM
Maybe this valve needs adjustment

Steering valve adjustment ...the ones the arrows point to....Wrong...Just loosen the valve body screws & tap on the screws at the bottom (if it pulls left)or the plug at the top (if it pulls right)

Just to add to this thread.

After rebuilding my steering box last year, I found that turning to the right seemed to take more effort than turning to the left.  Going to the left took almost no effort at all.

Last night I followed the above procedure (well sort of) and taped the steering valve up towards the fire wall, and it seemed to make a difference.  The steering effort both ways is now very even.

The only issue I had was that one of the valve bolts is blocked by the steering line, so I was only able to loosen one bolt.  I tried it any way and it seems to have done the trick.  I cant wait to get the car out for a spin and see if it feels the same on the road as it does sitting in the garage.

@Sly , did you ever get your car sorted out?

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

A simple check for steering valve adjustment... No need to raise the car, dead on accurate.... Engine off, hands off the wheel... Watch the steering wheel while starting the engine....If it's set right the wheel won't move at all.... If it's even slightly out of adjustment the wheel will momentarily "kick" to one side.... If the adjustment is off a good bit it will stay biased to one side but if it's close it will settle back to center... But initially it will kick & it shouldn't....

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 05, 2017, 06:13:55 PM
A simple check for steering valve adjustment... No need to raise the car, dead on accurate.... Engine off, hands off the wheel... Watch the steering wheel while starting the engine....If it's set right the wheel won't move at all.... If it's even slightly out of adjustment the wheel will momentarily "kick" to one side.... If the adjustment is off a good bit it will stay biased to one side but if it's close it will settle back to center... But initially it will kick & it shouldn't....

interesting...I never noticed that with my car.  but I could have missed it.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

How often do you start the car while watching the wheel?  Most guys grab the wheel with one hand & the key with the other....

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 05, 2017, 06:29:27 PM
How often do you start the car while watching the wheel?  Most guys grab the wheel with one hand & the key with the other....

good point! :haha: