Main Menu

Engine bay refresh

Started by fireguyfire, September 26, 2019, 02:08:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

1 Wild R/T

Wayne

I just did mine.  I had the heater box/core out. I pulled the master.  So glad I did.  Its such a tight corner it would be so tight to paint in there without removing it.  Plus then you can clean up the master support bracket and put in a new seal.  I didn't remove my column or k frame.  I worked around those.  No regrets doing that. 

Little things though.  make sure the shocks are out, battery tray.  Like you said, wiper motor. 

Good luck!
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

dodj

I agree with what others have said. You have the difficult part done in removing the engine. Go the full monty on the engine bay now.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Burdar

You could probably just plug the heater core ports.

In 73, the non A/C heater blower motors were painted black.  The earlier years were zinc plated.

fireguyfire

I think I'll pull the heater box; the car had obviously been driven a lot on gravel roads back in the day by the amount of dust up under the gauges, etc so I'm guessing the heater box will need a good clean out; I was going to pass on pulling it if I had to remove the dash but now I'll pull it for sure; might also install a new firewall insulation pad too

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Order a new firewall pad and firewall gasket kit now, might as well order a heater gasket kit as well.
Sheldon

Rich G.

I picture that little snowball rolling down the hill getting bigger and bigger!  LOL

Dakota

As part of the growing snowball, I'd suggest you check the bulkhead connector for heat damage, especially where the heavy red wire connects (I think this is terminal 8 ).  Mine was badly cooked. 

dave73

If you already pulled the motor, why not build it into a stroker?  :Stirring:  :haha:

Burdar

It's already a stroker.  The 340 has grown to 383 cubes.

Chryco Psycho

Although it could become 436 CI !! :twothumbsup:

fireguyfire

It's a 383 out of a 70 challenger.
It has a bunch of next day performance stuff on it which I've just listed for sale as I'm putting it back to stock.
I pulled off;
Holley street dominator intake and carb
Hooker performance headers
Chrome finned valve covers

Chryco Psycho

The Holley Street Dom intake for a 383 is a very desirable piece , it performs great & is discontinued