Main Menu

Engine Fire on Hemi Today

Started by Topcat, July 25, 2020, 07:36:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Drove around and met my friend Dave who said I should change my plugs.
Having a slight miss recently found.

Returned home...Pulled it in the Barn and turned it off.

Boom! Fire in the engine.
Smoke started pouring up thru the shaker.

I ran to my trunk, grabbed my ABC extinguisher and put it out.
This all took about  20 seconds from start to extinguished.
Could've lost the house and the car or even I could've been blown up perhaps.

So far: I need to replace...
Forward harness
Distributor cap
Firecore50 Wires
Possibly new heater hoses I just installed
Bubble nose scorched

It looks ignition related. However my splice with shrink tubing was fine.
Still wanting to know why or how it happened.

But most of  all...

THANKFUL!   :worship:

mopar jack

Glad you were able to save it. I wonder if the filter below the alternator leaked.

Topcat

Quote from: mopar jack on July 25, 2020, 07:45:05 PM
Glad you were able to save it. I wonder if the filter below the alternator leaked.

Electrical fire, not fuel fire.

RUNCHARGER

Scarey, good thing you stopped it. I hate the stud on the alternator being so close to a Hemi head. Look for a wire burnt onto a header/manifold as well.
Sheldon

Topcat

One wire on the  back of the Alternator was cooked all the way down.

Cudakiller70

Wow that's awful but glad you were quick. Ugh electrical fires what a mess.  Hope it cleans up well for ya. Good luck

cuda hunter

That's horrible.  Glad your safe. Will the shaker bubble clean up? 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda Cody

Holy crappoly.  That is scary.  Glad you're okay.

njsteve

Do you have collector car insurance? This is definitely a covered event under comprehensive. Make sure you photograph everything. You may want to check the ignition switch wiring as well. I had an electrical fire in a Superbird back in high school (my daily driver at the time). The main alternator wire fried and it acted like a fuse and melted its way all the way up into the steering column to the ignition switch.

I also had a wiring fire in a 71 Hemi Charger. It started at the passenger side valve cover, wiring harness junction block. It seems the factory wiring goes from a 10 gauge to a 12 gauge wire at that junction. It created so much resistance it melted clean through the two plastic wiring junction pieces. I had to cut and splice the two bare wires together by hand, just to get home. It happened in the middle of the NY Tappan Zee Bridge at 2:00 AM. That was a fun ride!

floorit426

:iagree:

That's happened to me four times, in the 40+years that I've owned my car. I finally bypassed the bulkhead connector and converted over to a voltmeter. Mike, I forwarded you the MAD Electric link.

This is almost like a right of passage, for a Mopar guy, as it is the weakest link, in the electrical system. I'm glad that damages, from your little "fish fry" were limited. Let me know, if you need a hand.

BFM_Cuda

That really sucks Topcat, glad you had an extinguisher handy. The extinguisher power is very corrosive so try to wash it off ASAP.

Jay Bee

Geez, that just sucks big time. In one breath I'm so sorry for you and in another I'm so glad that you were "Johnny-on-the-Spot".
It's already been said how this could have gone sideways in so many ways. All the best in getting back on the road ASAP.

Topcat

Quote from: cuda hunter on July 26, 2020, 07:34:01 AM
That's horrible.  Glad your safe. Will the shaker bubble clean up?

Minor boils on the nose.

Brads70

Glad to see the damage was limited somewhat. My buddy Mike with the 71 Hemi Cuda almost had the same issue. It was the wiring harness that was faulty right over the valve cover. Luckily he was right there when it happened with the hood up. Well known harness supplier did replace it but..... check everything, trust no one. 

torredcuda

Glad you saved it and kept damage minimal. Possible wire resting on metal rubbed/burnt thru?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/