Main Menu

Engine heat temps with Infrared Therometer

Started by Racer57, January 07, 2018, 12:05:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Those of you that have used an temp gun on your engines, how do my numbers compare ?

Recent issues with powder coat on valve covers prompted me to buy a $30 Infrared heat thermometer. (They need another excuse)

'70 Shaker Cuda
Stock HP383.
Stock exhaust manifolds
Edelbrock Performer Intake
Edelbrock cast aluminum Valve covers
Holley 750 Dual Feed, Double Pump
180 Thermostat.

Car started inside 70 degree garage then moved outside. Mechanical water temp gauge showing 185 degrees after idling for 30 min. Outside temp 38 degrees.  Temps checked at 2"-3"
Top of radiator next to cap... 140
Passenger exhaust manifold center...650
Passenger Valve Cover Center... 200  Front...140 Rear... 185
Driver exhaust manifold... 608
Driver Valve Cover Center... 190   Front... 164   Rear 194
Intake at base of Carb... 140

Cuda Cody

I use the same type of temp gauge for my break-in process and focus on the exhaust temps.  Yours seem a bit higher then what I recall, but probably not a big deal.  I take the temps at each cylinder exhaust on the outside of the stock exhaust manifold and there's always a bit of difference between them as they each get a bit different flow of fuel.  I seem to recall most temps in the 550 range with maybe one or two a little higher.

Chryco Psycho

Racer57

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 07, 2018, 02:44:43 PM
What exhaust pipe diameter are you using ?
2-1/4" with DynoMax UltraFlo mufflers.

This was my very first time using a temp gun, so I probably wasn't as consistent as I should be. I kinda averaged the numbers I saw instead of just clicking and then looking at display.  I pointed it at the top center of manifolds and never even thought about pointing it at each exhaust port.  :headbang:

After I put the batteries in it, I was pointing at the ceiling, floor and even my Wifes butt !  She turned around and caught me. She didn't take too kindly to it.  :D

RUNCHARGER

What temperature was her, oh never mind. Those are interesting #'s. The powdercoat was supposed to be okay to 600?
Sheldon

Brads70

Checking your wife's exhaust temperatures????  :rofl:

Sorry couldn't help myself.  :D
I first thought .... hummmm my temps were much higher but that was with headers. That's not much help though...

Racer57

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 07, 2018, 09:35:48 PM
What temperature was her, oh never mind. Those are interesting #'s. The powdercoat was supposed to be okay to 600?
I have some bubbles and they think the valve covers got over 400 degrees which is their cooking temp. The covers were old and I suspect their standard aluminum cleaning process wasn't sufficient. 

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: Yes 190 idling but the exhaust manifolds were 608. I forget, is it a big block with the manifolds right next to the valve covers?
Sheldon

HEMICUDA

Your bubbling came from the exhaust side I'm guessing, I had the same problem years ago on a "driver" I was putting together to drive.

Racer57

Quote from: HEMICUDA on January 08, 2018, 09:42:50 AM
Your bubbling came from the exhaust side I'm guessing, I had the same problem years ago on a "driver" I was putting together to drive.
Its actually closer to the intake. Both sides in the same area, primarily the center. The silver is also powder coat.

I need to make something VERY clear. I'm intentionally leaving out the name of the company that did it. They do very good work and I feel that what has happen to mine is a fluke. No one is 100% sure about the cause so far. They have already offered a shipping label and will redo the powder coating for free. At this point only trying to figure out wtf happen and whether its worth the gamble of redoing these covers because of possible issue with the aluminum itself or getting new ones done.