Main Menu

Z-bar vs heat issue?

Started by Bluemonster71RT, August 19, 2018, 01:08:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bluemonster71RT

I have an issue where as I am driving for about 40 min or so I believe that my z bar is getting heated up by the headers and makes it not operate smoothly. Its like I can feel spline groves or like its got sand in it. It makes it difficult to drive the car as the pedal doesn't operate smoothly. So at this point and feels like its skipping as I bring the pedal up. Does anyone else have or had this issue?  I took the original one out as I though there was a bind issue with the lakewood bell. I bought a sb one as stated it works for better clearance because the original was hitting the edge if the housing. This one does too but less.  Same thing happens though. Feels like grit in the tube.   

Rich G.

Do you have the plastic bushing in the ends and did you put any lube on them? Are you sure it's the z bar that's binding?

Bluemonster71RT

Yes. I have the bushings in and I tried both with and without lube. I am not sure that it isn't binding. I'm guessing it wasn't because its fine when I start out.

GrandpaKevin

Never had a heat related issue but my clutch pedal would pop, creak and groan and felt notchy when I moved it in and out.

After looking at the backside of the horizontal rod/pin that the return spring mounts to on the clutch pedal assembly I discovered the return spring had badly worn a grove in the pin and the spring was moving all around on the pin when working the clutch pedal.

After replacing the pin the clutch pedal worked and sounded like new.

Bluemonster71RT

WoW! Ill have to look at mine. Could be an issue.

GrandpaKevin

Make sure you get a good look at the backside of the pin where the return spring hooks to, it faces the firewall and is hard to see.

I think I used a mirror to see it.