Main Menu

Excessive Heat Warning

Started by 1970 cuda Joe, June 06, 2024, 05:24:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970 cuda Joe

I took the cuda for alignment this morning. They were done about 12:30. I found out today that a 26", 3 row radiator with a 5 blade fan, fan clutch plus a fan shroud isn't going to cool the 440-6 on 109 degrees days. It's always something else. Good gosh.....Joe
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed NOM. Moulin Rouge

Brads70

I can't even image 109.... :Thud: I think an ebody with black vinyl  seats would not be much fun in those temps!

Racer57

Quote from: Brads70 on June 06, 2024, 05:51:54 PMI can't even image 109.... :Thud: I think an ebody with black vinyl  seats would not be much fun in those temps!
Think about it. We used to do it all the time and not even think about it. Now we're spoiled. And old.  LOL

cuda hunter

I was just in Laredo with temp of 110*. 

What state are you in Joe? 

What did your car do while not cooling itself down? 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Brads70

Quote from: Racer57 on June 06, 2024, 07:20:09 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on June 06, 2024, 05:51:54 PMI can't even image 109.... :Thud: I think an ebody with black vinyl  seats would not be much fun in those temps!
Think about it. We used to do it all the time and not even think about it. Now we're spoiled. And old.  LOL

Agreed!  :)) When I was a kid the family daily driver was a 71 Challenger. I remember those fake leopard skin car blankets to sit on so you wouldn't burn your legs when wearing shorts, and so you didn't stick to them from sweaty legs. Mind you up here in Canada there were no 109 temps...

1970 cuda Joe

Quote from: cuda hunter on June 06, 2024, 08:54:12 PMI was just in Laredo with temp of 110*. 

What state are you in Joe? 

What did your car do while not cooling itself down? 

I'm in Tucson. Radiator did alot of gurgling & dumped coolant. I left about an inch of space when I filled it to start with. It's an aftermarket brass radiator. I will measure the core size & thickness plus do a fin count per inch to determine if it was a quality radiator that was used when the previous owner built it. I might need to have a high fin count, 4 row radiator built for it. I did that for my 1969 Camaro ss396 & no problems with it..Joe

Dakota

It hit 101 yesterday afternoon in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. 

My Challenger just hides out in the garage when it's this hot, at least until I get the a/c system working.  There are a lot of house projects ahead of that work right now, so it sits.

1970 cuda Joe

Was a 4 row radiator ever used on an E-body?....Thank you, Joe

Duodec

Assuming your car is properly timed, you might consider temporarily retarding timing a bit until the weather is more temperate.  I don't know how much difference it might make but I know that advancing the timing can cause higher engine temps short of the point where it starts pinging.

Water wetter additive perhaps?

1970 cuda Joe

I
Quote from: Duodec on July 02, 2024, 06:52:38 PMAssuming your car is properly timed, you might consider temporarily retarding timing a bit until the weather is more temperate.  I don't know how much difference it might make but I know that advancing the timing can cause higher engine temps short of the point where it starts pinging.

Water wetter additive perhaps?

I've been doing some much needed work on the carbs over the last few days. I friend that was a NHRA tech inspector when these cars were new came by today to do some tuning. We were able to get it to run pretty good. No pinging. No over running when it's shut down. He determined that te distributor use a little re-curving so he'll take the dist back to his shop to do that work on a dist machine. By doing all that, the tested guage managed to stay just below 200 degrees. With the cam it has the engine seems to like an idle speed of 1050 but that could change with further adjustments......Joe 

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1970 cuda Joe

Quote from: anlauto on July 03, 2024, 04:41:26 AM109* bring it on 8)

It says it's 70 degrees at your place. My cuda would love that. You can keep your snow :)
....Joe