Main Menu

EBAY WARNING

Started by docmel, May 31, 2021, 08:09:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

docmel

Ive been an ebay member for about 15 years, with no issues until mid April when I saw items for sale under my ebay name THAT IS DID NOT LIST.  Most of the items were in the 500-700 dollar range.   

So I contacted ebay, they were pretty helpful at first until I said I want my account closed, PERIOD.   I was then told, "We cant do that until 30 days have passed to be sure you dont owe fees, etc". That didnt work for me so I was transferred to this person, etc, etc, until I was told no prob, you dont owe anything, your account is closed...................  And I was never charged any fees, the unauth items sold on my name were removed etc.  I checked my ebay account, and it was indeed closed.  Sucked becuase it was great selling and buying tool, but I cant risk further hacks

The same day I closed the acct, I was curious how the heck my EBAY account was accessed.  So I checked my emali account and found EIGHT people under my profile that I never auth or even recognize.  I immediatley cancelled that email account, and changed my email adress to PAYPAL, and any other site that had my email on file. 

So all is good, right?  NOPE:  Just got a "Recurring charge fee of $55.00" from EBAY,  from an email on PAYPAL, and EBAY USED MY NEW EMAIL ADRESS!  (That they dont have any record of!)

So I tried calling EBAY to resolve: Seems now you just cant use thier listed phone number anymore to resolve issues:  They recorded msg will tell you to go online to the ebay site first, then the phone just hangs up.    But the catch is, if you dont have a ebay account, you cant log on to EBAY!

So I contacted PAYPAL, they are working the issue now.........     

So............   Check your email provider.  Be sure there is no one that is auth to use your email in your account.  (Scary becuse someone was able to access my email account, and numerous folks were able acess my profile to be able to use it)  And then someone was able to hack my EBAY account

So far only $55.00 has been actually charged with me having to chase it, BUT     How in the hell did EBAY get my new email adress!

Watch yourselves.........

Rich G.

People are to lazy to work and rather spend time hacking other people's accounts because obviously nothing is being done to stop it! Someone stole your credit card number and bought a bunch of stuff, credit card company says no problem you don't have to pay for it. WTF

HP2

Ebay stopped being a viable sales tool to me back around 2008 or so. Their ever increasing fee structure laid over parts I was selling with thin margins lead to a point where the fees were often greater than my profits. Perhaps on NOS or more exclusive things that can see significant run ups on bidding, Ebay is a great option. From my experience, it wasn't worthwhile.

Sorry to hear of your experience and I hope they are able to satisfactorily resolve this for you.

Purepony

Yeah every turned into crap pretty fast. Shame really because it was a real helpful tool

They charge fees on anything and everything now

anlauto

It's still a good marketing tool as far as world wide advertising is concerned, but I very rarely buy anything there....if I see something I need I try and see if the company has a website of their own I can buy from, or I pick up the phone to order. Most companies appreciate the business "outside" of eBay .. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

eBay was certainly a great thing but turned into a textbook example of management figuring out a way to screw up a wet dream!
I bought and sold a lot of stuff there, things I'd never have been able to find, and sold things that were cluttering up my house that I knew had value but never could figure out how to find buyers for until eBay.
I still buy some things there, I dislike them less than I dislike Amazon!  I have pared down buying things online and do try to buy direct from companies rather than middlemen when I do.
Selling online in general has become sketchy, reliability of shipping like USPS has gotten worse and the final straw was last January when PayPal sent me a 1099K for 2020 payments I'd received using them.  No more of that!
I'm gathering stuff in my living room this week to pack up in my new truck and set up at a Mopar swap meet near me next Sunday.  First time in many years I'm selling at a swap meet, but times have changed and now maybe I am not the only one who would prefer selling at a swap to online?

tparker

Yeah, Ebay has sucked for years. Most people seem to ask a premium price for whatever which defeats the point. I can buy stuff elsewhere. Not sure if that is cause of the pricing structure or if it is just the newer people using it as a retail site. It's usually my last option.

As for service, the major internet companies have automated everything and it makes support a pain in the butt. We had an issue with Amazon and it took us over a year to resolve it. Turns out my daughter bought some stuff and we thought someone else did and we disputed the charges and got fraud dept involved before we figured everything out.BUT, their system is all automated and people can't do anything. We had to wait for the computers to find the issue, figure out what was processed and then take action. We ended up paying everything all back but the computer algorithms kept saying there were issues. My wife calls it the year amazon cancelled Christmas. LOL. Convenience comes at a price.

gzig5

I've bought a bunch and sold a few on Ebay.  Hated it when they made PayPal the only form of payment.  But now it seems that they are requiring sellers to link a bank account directly with them so they can pull fees and make payments without going through PP??  That ain't happening for me.  I still only have a credit card associated with PP and am not going any deeper with these people.  I'll scrap my stuff or give it away before I hand over account info in order to sell.

Burdar

Quotebefore I hand over account info in order to sell. 

You can open a separate account that you only use to sell.  Then only keep the minimum balance in that account that your bank requires.

I opened a separate account when I was selling things on Facebook.  Some people wanted to pay with PayPal so I opened the account for that purpose only.  I think I carry a 50 cent balance in that one.

1972V21Cuda

I've been buying & selling on there for 20 plus years. I'm not thrilled with eBay's Managed Payments nor their fee structure. However, you can't beat the exposure & vetting. I'm not interested in wasting time on FB, Craigslist, etc. to sell items. If you're just a buyer, then eBay still has many good deals. Personally, I haven't seen much of a price difference between eBay or purchasing it on a website. As of late, people are selling common household goods at the lowest price by using their Sam's Club or Costco accounts. The items are drop shipped from those places and shipped directly to me. However, in most cases, the sellers must be making pennies on the transactions.

docmel

Yeah:  Thats the catch,  The vetting and exposure is so good, they dont give too much thought on customer service anymore.  I have had some very good deals on very hard to find items.  But I wont use them anymore.  Its really the hackers that screwed it for me.  The EBAY customer servce just adds to the suck

JunkYardFind

Our site was born roughly 10 years ago because we were so fed up from ebay's BS! 10 years later and it has got soooo much worse :/ Our site is an alternative but no one seems to want to change. I am dumbfounded as to why. EVERY person we talk to at a show LOVES the JunkYard site and says they will list stuff as soon as they get home....they never do.

We are at the point now where the site is just a hobby. If it takes off great. If not, we enjoy working on it and actually sell alot of own stuff on it. Anyway, not a plug but certainly a rant against ebay.

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: JunkYardFind.com on June 03, 2021, 05:35:25 PM
Our site was born roughly 10 years ago because we were so fed up from ebay's BS! 10 years later and it has got soooo much worse :/ Our site is an alternative but no one seems to want to change. I am dumbfounded as to why. EVERY person we talk to at a show LOVES the JunkYard site and says they will list stuff as soon as they get home....they never do.

We are at the point now where the site is just a hobby. If it takes off great. If not, we enjoy working on it and actually sell alot of own stuff on it. Anyway, not a plug but certainly a rant against ebay.

Looks like a great site. However, are people familiar with it? eBay is a household name. I wish you all the success in the world.

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: docmel on June 02, 2021, 06:40:33 AM
Yeah:  Thats the catch,  The vetting and exposure is so good, they dont give too much thought on customer service anymore.  I have had some very good deals on very hard to find items.  But I wont use them anymore.  Its really the hackers that screwed it for me.  The EBAY customer servce just adds to the suck

You're right. I'll probably be done with selling in a year or so. But, you're absolutely correct.