Main Menu

Floor to trans crossmember

Started by Nepagarage, March 07, 2022, 06:01:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Nepagarage

How flat to the cross member should the floor be? The one piece floor I put in I was aiming to have there be zero gap anywhere along the hump but it proved to be really difficult to get it nailed down.  I ended up having clecos every couple inches then removed one and plug welded. Moved on to the next cleco, removed and plug welded, etc. along the whole top of the hump there is zero gap, there is some spots coming down the sides of the hump that have an 1/8" gap, then it's back to zero gap when you get out to the horizontal part of the member. Am I being too picky and a small gap is ok or should it be zero gap along the whole thing?

jimynick

Jeez and I'm the guy who welded my own in and I don't specifically recall! To the best of my recollection, I think there should be no gap. A 4-6" chunk of a 2X4 and a nice BFH should be your friends here. Otherwise, using the scenario where the car would've been driven normally, you'd stand the chance of packing those gaps with road crud and water, which in a E body, is the impending kiss of death. From what you've already said about how you're handling it, I'd say "roll on lad, roll on!" but then that's just my  :alan2cents:   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Nepagarage

Damn I was really hoping you'd say a small gap is normal lol. I may have to cut some of those welds I already made if I want to get it down flat where there is a gap, as I suspect those welds are going to actually hinder me from getting the panels to kiss. Well, better now than later I suppose!

Dmod1974

I'd also add that you should hammer and dolly the panels surrounding each plug weld immediately after welding to get everything to sit flush.  The heat put into the panel will make it much more malleable and easier to get fit properly.