Main Menu

Front bumper guards fit on 70 Challenger

Started by Rutro, November 24, 2019, 06:00:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rutro

Need some help or advice.
I got bumpers probably 18 years ago from Year One, I think they were lane as Keystone.
I've had what I thought are e-body bumper guards but they don't fit?
I really don't think they are Dart guards.
Please check the pictures.

anlauto

The couple of sets I've installed over the years have been a little bit "off" but those are way off...I wouldn't be surprized if they were not Challenger guards :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Challenger in NC

Here's a 70/71 set advertised on E-bay, looks to be same profile but hard to be sure. Could the bumper profile be off?

Rutro

Those two things are my fears for sure.
Worried about the after market bumper.
I've tried to study the a-body and e-body bumpers guards.
Is there another model that used similar looking ones?
Thanks guys

70 Challenger Lover

They are definitely Challenger bumper guards. Dart ones are slightly different

70 Challenger Lover

I've had the same issues. My plan is to get an original front bumper that's already straight and rechrome it. I've heard of guys reshaping the guards to fit the aftermarket bumpers but I'd rather not. A good set of guards are $200 plus now.

750-h2

I also had the same problem. My OE front bumper guards fit perfectly on my OE bumper. I tried to fit them on a new Keystone bumper and no way they would even come close to fitting.

three two barrels

Dodge actually made two different bumpers in 1970 and 1971, some come to a point and the others have the flat section that fits the guards perfectly. You will need to find the correct bumper to use those guards.

worthywads

Not sure if this picture helps but here are mine with guards, too hard to see the profile with all the reflection, that's my bald face on the top.  I did measure 3" from the top front of bumper guard to the bottom.  It appears the angle isn't large enough on your photos, like it should be almost 90 degrees but the guards are not close to 90.

js27

Darts and Challenger are similar. I know 1st hand because years ago I bought a pair of 70 Challenger guards already re chromed. When I went to install them one fit perfectly and the other was off-I tried swapping them around but still no go. Here they are side by side and you can see the difference.
JS27

Rutro

Thanks for the information and pictures.
The side by side of Dart and Challenger was great!

I'm now hung up on the comment by "three two barrels", stating that Dodge made two different bumpers in 1970 and 1971.
Arghhhh....I might try to find another bumper.

For those that have modified their guards to fit, do you have any words of wisdom on how to proceed?

Challenger in NC

Quote from: three two barrels on November 24, 2019, 08:28:33 PM
Dodge actually made two different bumpers in 1970 and 1971, some come to a point and the others have the flat section that fits the guards perfectly. You will need to find the correct bumper to use those guards.

I wonder why Dodge chose to make two different bumpers instead of just making the bumper guard fit the standard bumper?