Main Menu

Windshield install

Started by fireguyfire, May 13, 2020, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I just removed the windshield on my 73 challenger so that I can install a vinyl top.
Searching the internet, and the shop manual a lot of people recommend still using 3/8" thick butyl tape to install the windshield.
Glass shops I have been talking with think that's nuts and strongly recommend urethane to install.
I am also having a tough time sourcing the butyl tape, so I thought I would throw the subject up for discussion here; are you guys and gals using urethane or butyl tape, and also any windshield installation tips would be appreciated; it's been several years since I've done one.

GoodysGotaCuda

I used the thick butyl to help ensure that the trim fits reasonably against the glass.

If the factory had a 3/8" butyl for a nice fit, going to a 1/4" or so of urethane will seal just fine, but your gap will be way off.

I found my front/rear glass seals on eBay.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

mopar jack

Our cars use glass that is not designed for urethane. Urethane does not stick well to glass so modern glass has an enamel fused to it and the urethane bonds to that. https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-those-little-dots-are-on-the-edges-of-your-c-1791075995

anlauto

My guy has been in the business for probably close to 40 years....He uses butyl on all my cars, because I ask him to, but he would be the first to say the urethane is much stronger...I bet MOST glass shop these days, the guys there likely don't even know what butyl is  :no:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

My windshield actually looks really new; definitely not the original one.
I've owned the car for a year, so it could be very new

mopar jack

It may be new but it is not going to have the frit. Hope you read the article I posted.

headejm

Mrbill426

NAPA sells butyl tape in 1/4" through 3/8".

Quote from: fireguyfire on May 13, 2020, 06:43:54 PM
I just removed the windshield on my 73 challenger so that I can install a vinyl top.
Searching the internet, and the shop manual a lot of people recommend still using 3/8" thick butyl tape to install the windshield.
Glass shops I have been talking with think that's nuts and strongly recommend urethane to install.
I am also having a tough time sourcing the butyl tape, so I thought I would throw the subject up for discussion here; are you guys and gals using urethane or butyl tape, and also any windshield installation tips would be appreciated; it's been several years since I've done one.

JS29

:iagree: Butyl tape is not that hard to find, the problem is the counter help wasn't born yet when they quit using it. Modern glass installed with urethane is considered structural now.  :alan2cents: