Main Menu

SE Emblem restoration - Need Suggestions please

Started by fc7cuda, June 05, 2019, 07:04:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fc7cuda

After several years of searching, I have not been fortunate enough to locate any NOS emblems for the rear pillars on my RT/SE Challenger.  I know there are reproductions, which look nice, but do not contain the textured colored plastic within each Fratzog section.  Here are the 4 used emblem that I have and I'm curious if others have experimented with restoring these to a nice level.  90% of the cars I see at shows have the repos. and the others are used emblems and most are missing a colored section or two.  Since I have 4 an only need 2, I'm open to suggestions for obtaining the best results possible.

Thank you.

blown motor

Would a sign shop have textured vinyl that you could cut to shape and put in there? @Cuda Cody would know.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

headejm

I believe my SE emblems are original. They are not textured. The Testor's red paint is a pretty good match for the original color.

EV2RTSE

Believe it or not, the textured plastic coating found on the original emblems didn't start out textured. It got that way after being exposed to the elements over the years. Later NOS emblems didn't have the plastic coating at all and that looks what @headejm has above. I have owned what must have been really early leftover assembly line pieces that found their way into the parts system as NOS and the texture on them was smooth. I have pictures on another computer, will post them later. I think RestoRick was restoring these for a while, I seem to remember him mentioning on moparts that you can use a syringe and epoxy or something similar to duplicate the clear coating if you want to go that far. I'll try to dig up a link to the thread on moparts if I get a chance.

Cuda Cody

None that I have seen or know of.   :sorry:

Quote from: blown motor on June 05, 2019, 08:05:58 AM
Would a sign shop have textured vinyl that you could cut to shape and put in there? @Cuda Cody would know.

fc7cuda

Quote from: headejm on June 05, 2019, 10:29:04 AM
I believe my SE emblems are original. They are not textured. The Testor's red paint is a pretty good match for the original color.

Here's a pic of the back side of my 4, they all have the #3444937 which is a casting number not part#.

fc7cuda

Quote from: EV2RTSE on June 05, 2019, 10:48:59 AM
Believe it or not, the textured plastic coating found on the original emblems didn't start out textured. It got that way after being exposed to the elements over the years. Later NOS emblems didn't have the plastic coating at all and that looks what @headejm has above. I have owned what must have been really early leftover assembly line pieces that found their way into the parts system as NOS and the texture on them was smooth. I have pictures on another computer, will post them later. I think RestoRick was restoring these for a while, I seem to remember him mentioning on moparts that you can use a syringe and epoxy or something similar to duplicate the clear coating if you want to go that far. I'll try to dig up a link to the thread on moparts if I get a chance.

YES, you are correct - the "clear" textured area material was once smooth - which would also explain why my 4 aged differently in this area. I plan to experiment with polishing this area to a smooth finish and then buff the chrome and repaint the black.

Yes, seems like I do remember reading several years back that RestoRick had an epoxy method for reapplying this clear area which is often missing on originals.

Thank you for reminding me.  :bigthumb: