Main Menu

Funny and Sad Dodge Dealer Story

Started by Daveh, June 01, 2019, 12:14:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I had two recalls to be fixed on my Jeep and took it to the local dodge dealer and when I went to pick it up I had my E-Bodies shirt on and the service writer looked at my shirt and actually said "what's an E-Body"?  Two other service writers started laughing their ass off.  He was about 30ish and had no clue.  Sad that these millennials don't get it. 

340challconvert

Quote from: Daveh on June 01, 2019, 12:14:19 PM
Hey guys,

I had two recalls to be fixed on my Jeep and took it to the local dodge dealer and when I went to pick it up I had my E-Bodies shirt on and the service writer looked at my shirt and actually said "what's an E-Body"?  Two other service writers started laughing their ass off.  He was about 30ish and had no clue.  Sad that these millennials don't get it.

I know; they have no clue
I have had several early 30 somethings ask a question about my 70 Challenger convertible - "Mr. What year Charger is that?"      :deadhorse:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

RUNCHARGER

Well maybe, these new vehicles are transportation devices. When I was in my 20's I didn't know much about 20's and 30's Mopars (still don't I suppose).
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

Ya,,,, I get the "nice charger" all the time....

Chryco Psycho

Plumcrazy72

Quote from: Daveh on June 01, 2019, 12:14:19 PM
Hey guys,

Thats kind of like us "millennials" saying old people shouldn't be on the road because they are terrible drivers................ its not all of us, I'm 32
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

We've got a young fellow at work that is just awesome. He is fresh out of high school so he is 18 I guess. Works hard at his job, doesn't bioch, knows the difference between different flathead Fords and he's into the old stuff. Lots of young guys are cool, just not all of them.
Sheldon

72 Challenger

I'm a millennial (Born 1986). I bought my first Challenger at 23, I am 33 now. The amount of older car guys who dismiss me because of my age is brutal. From "I didn't grow up with them" to "what can some kid know." and the most common one is "is that your dads car/ your dad let you take his car out?" Add that to the fact that most people who organise car shows consider everything built after 1975 to be unimportant trash, it's not hard to imagine people don't know much about older cars. 1970 was 49 years ago, that's longer than most of the population has been alive.

Sometimes the car community can be great, but it's mostly fairly toxic. I was asked to park my past Challenger in an all mopar display. I was sandwiched between a Hemi Road runner and a real Hemi cuda. Listening to these two belittle people who didn't know the minutia detail of their car was disheartening. "not real mopar guys."

It was an eye opener. I treat people way differently now at shows. I make sure to interact with the younger generation who are severely ignored by most car show attendees. Let them sit in it, let them ask "dumb" questions without judgement. Most of all, I make sure to ask about their cars. If you have passion for your ride, I want to hear about it. We need new blood to keep this hobby alive. If that's Nissan GTR's, Toyota's and new Challengers, I'm cool with that.

So going back to your poor guy getting laughed at in the service bay, i'm sure it was all in good fun. I don't think people are naturally cruel, but the other side of that is - did anyone ever tell him? or, was he automatically an outsider because he was young, just like I find myself time and time again. 
Someday I will have a J0b.

floorit426

Quote from: 72 Challenger on June 04, 2019, 07:26:00 AM
I'm a millennial (Born 1986). I bought my first Challenger at 23, I am 33 now. The amount of older car guys who dismiss me because of my age is brutal. From "I didn't grow up with them" to "what can some kid know." and the most common one is "is that your dads car/ your dad let you take his car out?" Add that to the fact that most people who organise car shows consider everything built after 1975 to be unimportant trash, it's not hard to imagine people don't know much about older cars. 1970 was 49 years ago, that's longer than most of the population has been alive.

Sometimes the car community can be great, but it's mostly fairly toxic. I was asked to park my past Challenger in an all mopar display. I was sandwiched between a Hemi Road runner and a real Hemi cuda. Listening to these two belittle people who didn't know the minutia detail of their car was disheartening. "not real mopar guys."

It was an eye opener. I treat people way differently now at shows. I make sure to interact with the younger generation who are severely ignored by most car show attendees. Let them sit in it, let them ask "dumb" questions without judgement. Most of all, I make sure to ask about their cars. If you have passion for your ride, I want to hear about it. We need new blood to keep this hobby alive. If that's Nissan GTR's, Toyota's and new Challengers, I'm cool with that.

So going back to your poor guy getting laughed at in the service bay, i'm sure it was all in good fun. I don't think people are naturally cruel, but the other side of that is - did anyone ever tell him? or, was he automatically an outsider because he was young, just like I find myself time and time again.

Excellent insights. Our cars are often extension of our egos and our egos often get the better of us. Without some youth in this hobby, it will not survive. I try to ask as many questions, as I can, especially if the owner is younger.

70/6chall

Here's one for you guys. When I take the Dodge in for tire service, Being an old guy myself (over 70), trying to remember to tell the tire technition, the car is right and left hand thread. Even when I remember to tell them they still can't comprehend the concept. Had a problem one time where one guy got a little aggressive with the air ratchet and spun the lug right out of the drum. I had to fight for this one I was told cars never came this way from factory. Had to change the tire shops managers thought process that '70 Chrysler cars were indeed this way before he considered putting in another stud in the drum. Luckily the drum wasn't damaged or the cost would've been higher. Thanks,   Al