Main Menu

Garage Squad Challenger

Started by quapman, September 20, 2019, 03:09:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

FWIW I'd let them finish my turbo build. 30 year never ending project fits their theme.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

Quote from: cuda hunter on September 21, 2019, 07:27:52 AM
Is the auto grip your product?
Yes,  Quapman (Steve - I think his name is) is the entrepreneur who developed  the Auto Grip.  I remember him from cc.c.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

Quote from: JS29 on September 20, 2019, 05:55:24 AM
I say part of the show. wrong year ralley cluster, dash pad, console. pieced together to mimic a T/A, but as we say, build it to make you happy.   :wrenching:

Come on guys...watch the program for what it is...  a rush HELP to finish cars that are owned by average Joe's that have sat for many many years, NOT cars in a Antique Car show being judged for authenticity.   

Who cares if the dash cluster was the wrong year...   Back in the day if you liked a rally cluster better than the standard cluster you went to the local You Pull It salvage yard and found one that worked, not caring what year it came out of.    The Challenger in this case originally had a 318 in it and now it has a 440 six pack !!   That does not spell authenticity...again who cares !!  Their not trying to get it ready to sell at Amelia Island car show !!  Their getting them ready for the owner to drive and enjoy !!   

The one thing i did NOT like is that they showed the engine being pulled and overhauled, but the car originally had a 318 in it, so probably a 904 trannsmission.  BUT they never touched the 904 torqueflite???   If that transmission sat for 20 years it needed a full freshening as all the seals and o-rings would be toast.   Not to mention, keep an unmodified 904 behind a big block 440 six pack and even freshened up it wouldn't last six months.   There was a reason Ma Mopar only put 904's behind slant six's and 2 barrel 318's.   NOW that is something to complain about not that the rear leaf springs have some rust on them (dont they all ??), and wrong year for the rally cluster !!    Garage Squad is one of my favorite car shows...   

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: Did they have any trouble bolting that 904 to the 440?
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 21, 2019, 05:09:29 PM
Get long bolts and pull together....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on September 21, 2019, 11:29:42 AM
Yes,  Quapman (Steve - I think his name is) is the entrepreneur who developed  the Auto Grip.  I remember him from cc.c.

:iagree:  I bought mine from him years ago, still working great!  :bradsthumb:

70 Challenger Lover

I only watched the show to see Heather Storm.

JH27N0B

Coincidentally, I turned on Motortrend TV this evening and Garage Squad was on, with a rerun of the Barracuda convertible episode.  It was a small block car, and the one I've seen a few times locally that looks similar is a 383, so not the same car.
One scene caught my eye, one of the characters was telling Heather the interior rear panels were shot, but not to fear, he had some brand new ones he ordered ready to install.
Rear interior panels for convertibles have been a sore subject, as there isn't enough demand to make them the right way.  So where did he get new panels, Palco?

chargerdon

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 21, 2019, 05:09:29 PM

Good point...so it was a 727...but still if it sat for 20 years no way it didnt need cleaned, and to be refreshed with new seals and o rings... 

quapman

Yes, it is, Josh. I have a facebook page, but don't actively advertise. I'm backed up on orders now and never seem to have enough time.

https://www.facebook.com/autogripshifter/

70 Challenger Lover

I'm certain there are lots of other things going on behind the scenes. More people working on the car after hours who aren't shown as part of the crew, advance recon on the cars to make sure they aren't taking on too big a project and have exactly what they need once they start, string pulling with suppliers ahead of time to get what they need without the inevitable delays the rest of us actually put up with, days of dialing crap in and fixing stuff after the build, etc.

I like the show and I think what they do is pretty cool but I refuse to believe it goes off exactly as we see on tv.

RUNCHARGER

Don: I know it was a slight oversight you missed, just bugging you.
On the one side I appreciate any Mopar coverage on TV and don't see little hiccups as a problem. Working with 4 GM guys all week though I can see how misinformation can be annoying to listen to.
Sheldon

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on September 22, 2019, 06:25:01 AM
I'm certain there are lots of other things going on behind the scenes. More people working on the car after hours who aren't shown as part of the crew, advance recon on the cars to make sure they aren't taking on too big a project and have exactly what they need once they start, string pulling with suppliers ahead of time to get what they need without the inevitable delays the rest of us actually put up with, days of dialing crap in and fixing stuff after the build, etc.

I like the show and I think what they do is pretty cool but I refuse to believe it goes off exactly as we see on tv.

The guys you see on the show, are the only guys that work on the cars.  Nobody comes in from off screen to do anything, unless it is a front or rear window install.  We do work late hours sometimes off screen to get stuff together.  But for insurance purposes, we only have usually 5 to 7 days with the cars and that's it.  There is no coming back after we have shown the car. 

They do scout ahead and make sure the project fits within their time lines and such though.  They get hundreds of submissions, so they can weed out the bigger projects.  That's why usually there isn't any paint or serious body work involved.

Please check out my previous post about the biggest issue the show has had.
Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org

dave73

I love the concept and watch the show whenever it's on. I think it's one of the better ones in terms of non-sense and a feel good show. They are helping people out and getting a car on the road that may not be on the road without them. Sure it may not be perfect but the owners seem happy, they can now enjoy their car and the hobby, isn't that what it's all about?

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Brads70 on September 21, 2019, 06:07:29 PM
Quote from: dodj on September 21, 2019, 11:29:42 AM

:iagree:  I bought mine from him years ago, still working great!  :bradsthumb:

There's one in NIKKI too !    NO ISSUES!!!!!  :bradsthumb: