Main Menu

Good source for new '70 hood hinge springs

Started by 6pack, April 03, 2018, 06:24:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6pack

I noticed that all searches for hood springs result in AMD hinge and springs as a package or the AAR/TA types for light hoods.  Does anyone know where I can get just new springs?  Looks like 'Cuda and Challenger share the same hinge spring.  I checked many places google search, Rock Auto. e-bay MOPAR aftermarket sites.  Any help is appreciated.my

Jimmy

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

I am thinking that you have the same issue that I have......you put the hood up and it wants to come back down about 6" and when you want to close the hood the rear wants to stay up some and you have to push down or from the front walk it down and then close and push down again.....I was told this is due to weak springs........Just checking to see I this is a common problem.....

MoparDave

the only springs made are the TA and AAR which are different than the steel hood springs. Nobody make the springs for the steel hoods. you will have to find salvage,
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

6pack

My hood stays up but it sticks up in the back after you close it push it down then go for a ride it works its way back up 1/2" or so.  Yours are probably even weaker if it has trouble staying up. 

anlauto

You should have the hinges rebuilt by RestoRick then adjust them properly :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparDave

Springs are generally never the issue as the pins wear out. Once that happens the hinges get lose and the hood raises.  SMS and resto rick restore hinges as Alan mentioned. 70 is different then 71-4 hinges also.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

6pack

I emailed them.  I was hoping someone would chime in with an aftermarket/interchange source.  My hinges are good it is just the springs that are weak.  You can pull on them and they give way to much.  I had to change the springs on most of my other cars that were weak like them and it cured the hood issues.

Jimmy

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Quote from: anlauto on April 03, 2018, 07:50:43 AM
You should have the hinges rebuilt by RestoRick then adjust them properly :alan2cents:

So Alan , you are saying that there is an adjustment on the hinges???

1 Wild R/T

From Rick's website....

A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is with the rear hood edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Retighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I've installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender...using this method, the hood was fitting perfect in a few minutes!

Rick

6pack

Sounds good.  I will try it.  I remember doing that on another car many years ago and that did work.  It wasn't a MOPAR.  I got a quote of $150 for two springs.  I hope this works.  It is probably out of adjustment from being repainted.

Jimmy

anlauto

Quote from: DAYLEY/CHALLENGER on April 03, 2018, 01:47:41 PM
Quote from: anlauto on April 03, 2018, 07:50:43 AM

So Alan , you are saying that there is an adjustment on the hinges???

If the hood is sitting high at the rear, 9.9 times out of 10 it's the adjustment. Trying to properly adjust worn out hinges is pretty much useless, so I'm saying both. In my opinion....Springs don't wear out :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Use RestoRick's instructions, it will hopefully help you out. Generally you have to raise the hinge when the hood sits too high, that will allow the hinge to sit down properly and drop the hood.
Sheldon

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Well continuing with the discussion........I am attaching pics before I move any thing....this is how mine is now........

So judging from the information, I should raise the hinges front and back...??

RUNCHARGER

Yes: For sure, they are all the way down which is why you are having the problem. For a start I would move them up evenly front and back to the midway point. Then carefully try closing the hood.
Sheldon