Main Menu

Hello! Here's my new '73 Cuda

Started by cnm2215, October 02, 2023, 11:30:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cnm2215

What have I done?!?

I bought a 1973 Cuda 340 last week. I just couldn't turn down the asking price of $15,000.

ABOUT THIS CAR'S PAST
The previous owner (not its original owner) and his son had it for 20 years. Painted it himself (did a terrible job). When he bought it, it already had had work done on it, such as floor pans replaced (poorly) and glass replaced (poorly). From what I can tell from the fender tag (which is quite illegible) this car was originally Bronze Metallic with white interior. During the time that the previous owner had it, his daughter (schoolteacher) eventually drove it to work every day for a few years (must have been the coolest teacher on campus!). Then it must have sat dormant for a while, because in August of 2020 he spent about $14k replacing many major parts, and getting it drivable. Its last successful state inspection was December 2021.

According to the previous owner, he bought this car 20 years ago from a man who drove it here (Houston, TX) from Michigan for a client, who ended up not wanting it. So the man sold it to the person I bought it from.

ABOUT THIS CAR'S PRESENT
The car has its original 340 ci engine with 61,923 miles on it. It is currently drivable and the engine sounds very good. Stock power steering. The transmission is three-speed automatic with slap stik shifter. Dual exhaust. Standard (not rallye) instruments. The following components were installed in August 2020 by the previous owner (costing him $14k) and are like new: new Edelbrock AVS2 carburetor; new larger 4-row aluminum radiator & hoses; new radiator fan; new thermostat; new water pump; new alternator; new brakes (rotors, pads, hoses, shoes, drums, calipers, master cylinder); new distributor cap & rotor, new spark plug wires and plugs; new front & rear shocks; new tie rod ends; new upper control arms; new pitman arms; new fuel pump; new 18 gallon fuel tank & new sending unit. It has aftermarket air conditioning installed and working (though not very new). The spare tire is an original Polyglas.

When the previous owner painted the car it's clear that he didn't remove rust beforehand and painted over rust spots. The car looks good from a distance, but when you get up close to it, you can see its trouble spots. Issues I have not yet diagnosed: the car leans to the left; the passenger tail/brake light doesn't work (even with a new bulb); turn signals don't work; the interior dome light doesn't work nor does dashboard light; stereo doesn't work.

I *think* the transmission and rear-end are original, but I'm not sure. There are many parts of the car that I wanted to learn more about before I bought it, but when we reached the sale price of $15k I immediately shook his hand and bought it without learning more about the car.

I've had the car in my possession for less than a week and I'm still learning its status.

ABOUT THIS CAR'S FUTURE
Phase 1: Drive and enjoy it as-is.
Maintain the car and plan the restoration. I have a kid in high school (junior year) and I don't yet have the bandwidth for a total car restoration. I anticipate that I will be able to have bandwidth for restoration in around  2-3 years, after we no longer have kids in the house and I'll be an empty-nester. Until then, I'll use the time to enjoy driving the car in its current state and planning its restoration. For now, I want to get the car into a state of being where I don't feel like it's going to break down at any moment, leaving me stranded.

Phase 2: Restomod
I have no desire to restore this car to its original state of being. My vision is to restore this car to a 1971 Cuda 426 tribute (which is my dream car). I would like the end result to preserve the look and feel of a '71 hemi Cuda 426 with a few added comforts. I do not feel any need or desire to have the fastest car on the road. In a separate discussion, I will start a list, requesting input from people here, on the restoration

ABOUT ME:
My name is Carl. I'm 54 years old and a complete newbie to the muscle car world. I've been a spectator for a long time and now I'm in it. There are many things that I don't know about and have no experience in. But I'm not afraid to learn, not afraid to ask questions, and not afraid to try. I politely request, ahead of time, your patience and understanding as I ask questions and learn new things. If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not really afraid of any of it, and I hope to do most of the restoration myself; however, I believe there are some aspects of the restoration (such frame & body blasting, engine & transmission replacement, paint) for which it would be wiser for me to send it out due to my lack of knowledge, inability, or lack of optimal equipment.

My wife thinks I've bitten off more than I can chew, and she sees only the things that are wrong with the car. She may be right, but for the low purchase price, I couldn't turn it down and, if I ever determine that I'm in over my head and I want to get out, I'm confident I can recoup my investment.

Let me know what you think!

blown motor

Cool car, congratulations. If it's an automatic it'll be a three speed, not a four speed unless it's an aftermarket tranny. With all the new parts and a driveable car I think you got a good deal. Work away at it over time to make it better and don't worry about the cosmetics. Drive it and have fun.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

MoparLeo

Good car to start with. First thing is to get a Service Manual and other info and educate your self.
 Go to the resource section here for free downloads. Have fun ! :tool:
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Dakota

Welcome to site and congrats on the car purchase.  Base on what I've been seeing for other sales, you got a decent purchase price on your car.  As you've probably already seen, body and paint work are the killers on cost.  I would echo Blown Motor's comments about driving the car.... It's easy to end up getting to a place where the car can't be driven "for just a little while" that turns into years.  There is lots of great help available here... all you have to do is ask. 

JS29

chargerdon

Spikedog08

WOW Great Car!  Welcome to the site!   First thing I would do is take off that silly looking wing on the rear!  Looks like a great car! 

:clapping:   :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

392heminut

Quote from: chargerdon on October 04, 2023, 07:13:31 AM
You stole it !!!

Yup! That car is probably worth twice what you paid for it just as it sits! You definitely have a good base to start with. :bigthumb:

cnm2215

The entire deck lid has problems - rusted through in one section. In my future plans, when I restore it to being a '71 tribute, I will replace the trunk lid and the taillight panel.

...I've never been a big fan of a rear wing, but it has grown on me.  Almost seems like the back end would be kinda boring without it.

How do others here feel?  Wing?  or no wing?

Racer57

Others here know far more what rear panel body parts will interchange, so ask before you invest in different year parts. Imho, if the car had the option of a wing, I would keep it.  :D

cnm2215

Actually, from what I understand, the wing was added aftermarket and was not available on the 73 Cuda.

Hood

Congrats on the new Cuda!   :wrenching:
Check your fuses regarding your electrical gremlins, then move forward from there with questions if your fuses are good. Best of luck on your new Cuda!
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

HP2

Nice score, and welcome! Its a great start to get your feet wet.

Depending on how much you plan on making it look like a '71, you are going to be in for a lot of work and expense to duplicate the '71 body. Those closer to this type of work can correct me ,but you may be looking at $20k plus for this.

Once you get into the Hemi and related driveline components, things will continue to be expensive. With the engine, accessories, trans. and rear, this could easily be an additional $35k.

340challconvert

Welcome to the site
Great pick up on the Cuda at a GREAT price point

:perfect10:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

usraptor

:welcome:  from Utah!  Congrats on a great score and car!  Keep us posted with your progress and remember:   :needphotos: