Main Menu

help with a clone

Started by dmastr3665, September 21, 2019, 08:59:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dmastr3665

hi all i am new to this board, in fact i don't even own a car as of yet but am planing on buying something within the next couple months, what i want is a 1971 but probably cant find one i can afford so my plan is to find something to clone one, not actually a complete clone i just want the gilled fenders, shaker hood 4 headlight grill and the square tail lights, i was under the impression that a 1970 would be a direct bolt on for this stuff and then someone told me no it has to be a 72 to 74, now im totally confused, I called all the major body parts places and still couldn't get a 100% answer they think this might fit but no one could say for sure, im sure someone on here has done this before and can give me some advice, the gills and the tail lights are my most important things, if the fenders wont fit can i somehow install the gills in one of the other year cars? please help, if anyone wants please email me at dmastr3665@cableone.net thank you Dustin

nsmall

Sorry I cant help, I am sure others can. Welcome to the site and yes 71's are really cool and unfortunately really stinking expensive.  Good luck on your quest.

Spikedog08

Welcome to the site!  The fenders will fit on any barracuda, the trick is the headlights but it is doable . . . 71's have a different lower valance as well.  If you get a 72-74, the rear tail light panel would need to be swapped out for the square tail lights.  All in all, certainly attainable . . Good luck! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site Dustin  :wave:

anlauto

Everything to convert a 1970 into a 1971 would be a direct bolt on and an afternoon's worth of work. :wrenching:

To change a 1972-74 into a 1971 it would require swapping out the tail panel which requires cutting and welding. There's a whole bunch of different things on a 73-74 that should be changed like bumpers, bumper guards, seats are slightly different etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

People may be referring you to the 72-74s because the 70s are also extremely expensive. Most Barracuda lovers will accept a 72-74 being cloned into a 71 but to clone a 70 into a 71 just seems a real shame to most of us. The 72-74 will require more work but you will be saving a lot off the initial purchase price.

anlauto

Oh yea....that goes without saying...you're no further ahead using a 70 cost wise that's for sure. My advice is look for one already converted...they are out there, and it will always be cheaper buying a done car then building one. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda70-74

Thats what im doing to my 74 cuda turning it into a 71 cuda clone. The most expensive stuff for the 71 is the grill,front valance, 71 taillight but im using the 70 cuda rear tailights because i think they look better and the 71 cuda headlight bucket assembly if u can find a good used one.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

dmastr3665

thank you all with the info, i think i found a reasonable priced 74, only problem with it is its such a nice looking car to start out with, I almost feel bad chopping it up to get the look i want. I guess the good thing is im not chopping up an original car this one has been tubed and set up for drag racing. I realize all this stuff takes value from the car but im not looking for an investment im looking for a fun driver.

RUNCHARGER

I may go against the grain and of course it's your car. I really prefer the 2-3-4 grille over the too busy 71 big time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that 2-3-4 grille IMO.
Sheldon

anlauto

Wow...looks more like a race car then a street car :burnout:

Cuda70-74

Quote from: anlauto on September 22, 2019, 11:37:33 AM
Wow...looks more like a race car then a street car :burnout:
The good thing about race car body is their usually rust free. Body work is the biggest expense on these cars.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Shoooter

70 has a different header panel as well

anlauto

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 22, 2019, 11:33:44 AM
I may go against the grain and of course it's your car. I really prefer the 2-3-4 grille over the too busy 71 big time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that 2-3-4 grille IMO.

:iagree: 100%. 71 is way to busy... 70 is best, 72-74 is a strong 2nd...