Main Menu

Help with Tan interior 70 Challenger

Started by v194, October 20, 2021, 12:52:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

v194

There seems to be a lot of variation in the tan color and what I am getting sent to me via vendors is way off matching (Paint for dash, seat covers, soft parts) is there any consensus on the colors or a vendor that has the matching stuff?

autoxcuda

Different materials will have different shades of tan

Soft molded trim:
Dash pad
Arm rests

ABS plastic:
Door panels
Kick panels
A-pillar molding
Seat backs

Hard plastic
Console
Bottom dash trim
Seat retractor covers

Vinyl
Seats

Seat metal:
Hinge covers
Seat belt latches
Interior window moldings

Dash Metal:
Dash structure
Ash tray door
Glove box door

I'm probably missing some things
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

R/T's 4 R/P

Visor Mount cover plates
Shoulder harness bolt cover trim and hanger covers

If it's an AC car the under dash trim

Horn pad

I found that seat belt buckle covers were often more different than other interior c9olors, maybe due to it being an automotive paint with hardener.

Parts came from various suppliers.
Modern car companies go to extreme detail in detailed color specs so that everything matches... not so much in 1969.
Older plastics and paints also did not hold color as well.
Find areas hidden from the sun if you want to try and match. Or just buy by the spec and it will be as good or better than back in the day.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

cuda hunter

A few subject pictures for viewing pleasure. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Now that I look at the tan and green one I think that might be a gold interior on a green exterior. 
Looks very similar to the gold's I've seen.  Gold's mismatch even worse than the tans. 
I love the tan interior though!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

v194

The car in question is a 70 Challenger its an October build and the build sheet says H6T5 so Interior is T5 which is a 69 color.  Its super bright and wondering if this is a mistake or correct as nothing really matches otherwise?
Horn pad (and associated parts) is listed as T4 but interior color is listed as T5?

198D13

Tan is a 1970 only colour. Of the five pictures posted, only the third one is possibly the tan colour, the other four are 1971 cars and are a darker colour, usually referred to as BROWN, which was also a one year only colour.

anlauto

I was going to agree, third picture down is 1970 Tan Challenger. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

js27

I went through the same thing with my R/T. It is a HRT5 code.  I had a hard time because my car was a convertible from Calif so sun baking made it even harder. I did not know which was original or faded from the sun.  I took a piece of material from under one of my buckets and sent it to Legendary and they made all the seat covers Carpet and boot. Unfortunately back in the late 90's I was not into Mopar sites on the internet and lacked info.  I did not have the knowledge and saw not other original saddle tan interiors car in my area so I used the same swatch and had paint mixed to match. Results as you can see are a one color interior.
Attached are some original photos and as you can see the different shades of tan on different parts.
Goof Luck
JS27

71383bee

That car is gorgeous!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top