Main Menu

Hometown T/A gets press

Started by JH27N0B, July 02, 2018, 11:04:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I learned about Challenger T/As around '77 when I was 14 or 15 from reading about Challengers in Car Craft and Hot Rod. One day a red T/A with a white top drove down my street and parked in front of my friends house on the next block.  I hopped on my bike and rode down to gawk at it, the first one I saw up close!
It belonged to a guy named Scott, a friend of my friends older brother.
When I turned 16 I bought my red T/A and here 40+ years later both me and Scott still own our cars!
His car just got written up-
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/denied-test-drive-bought-1970-dodge-challenger-ta-anyway-40-years-ago/

A few things not correct under the hood with Scotts restoration, and since there's a lot of red T/As around, I would have put the white top back on to show it is unique, but still very cool! :twothumbsup:

Cuda_mark

Agree on the white top...it would look even better with it. As it is, it still looks awesome.

JH27N0B

Back in the late 70s early 80s timeframe, besides Scott and my red T/As, there was also a purple AAR running around the streets of Glenview, owned by a guy named Jim.
Scott became a Glenview fireman, and he told me that one of his FD colleagues got in trouble at some point and ended up in the gray bar hotel.  In jail, he ran into Jim who sadly had gotten arrested for drug selling or possession.  Also, once they had a fire call for a small fire at Jim's parents house, which by that point was vacant, and the AAR was still sitting in the garage!
I wonder what ever became of the Glenview AAR.

Chryco Psycho

Great story on Scott  :twothumbsup:
as for the Purple AAR
" & now the rest of the story ......."

FlatlandTA

Cool write up,great cars. Would look great with the white top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUNCHARGER

Really cool. There also was a red T/A in our town back in the day. It came to town and I talked to the owner but I couldn't buy it when I was 16. It was red with a white interior, rallye gauges, 4 speed and 450 wheels. It is still in my hometown but they took out the #'s engine (worn out from reversing the pistons on a refresh), and it was painted metalflake red at one point. Not well restored today but it was a cool car when I first seen it.
Sheldon

headejm

Quote from: FlatlandTA on July 02, 2018, 12:04:27 PM
Cool write up,great cars. Would look great with the white top.

:iagree: I love a vinyl top on a T/A. Might have to put the white one back on it if it were mine.

JH27N0B

I have lots of memories from back in the day in Glenview.  I wouldn't call it a great car town or anything, somewhat crowded suburb without many good places to run our cars hard except a stretch by the late great Glenview naval air station where there weren't any places for cops to hide.  And that was a 2 lane road, not a place to drag race just a place to "burn the carbon off".
But there were some cool E bodies.  There was a guy older than me named Mark Vince iirc, who had a 70 440 6 pack orange Challenger with an A12 style hood.  One day he pulled into my high school parking lot probably to scope out if anyone had cool cars.  When he pulled back out on the main road, he nailed it and the way the front lifted off the ground and the sound of the engine screaming is something I'll never forget even though it was 40 years ago!  He was in the SIAC club and in the early 80s he sent in a picture of his car they put in the newsletter of it posed in the New Mexico desert.  Hopefully it still exists owned by him or another good caretaker.
I also remember before I was old enough to drive seeing a burnt orange 70 cuda around town.  The owner always had his parking lights on when driving it, which young me thought looked way cool!

FlatlandTA

It's the sound of the six pack I think that's unique.
I remember a 69.5 A12 4spd Bee in my hometown prob close to 35-40 years ago I stepped off the bus and heard this sound unlike anything I had heard,here he was coming down the street as hard as that Bee would go,I had not heard that sound again until two years ago I was looking over a one owner T/A chatting with the fella,great guy and he would not let me leave with out driving it. Well I heard that sound again that day some 35 years later,foot on the floor all three carbs inhaling was great.
So "that" sound has led to my addiction lol

Chryco Psycho

The six packs sound awesome , , in around 77 I was already tuning Six Packs for people & knew what they should sound like when they were working correctly ,
It is a shame the Hemi got dual quads , & not good ones even , a pair of Holleys like the race Hemis or a Six Pack on the Hemi would have been awesome , the Hemi woul dhave responded better with more efficiency too using a 6 pack but Chrysler knew that would have pushed it over 500 HP & they were trying to detune it for joe public

RUNCHARGER

The dual AFB's had a nice howl too. I agree though, the Street Hemi intake manifold and carb setup was a bit tricky to get right and left a lot on the table. The Six Packs were pretty close right from the factory and you didn't have to have a different jet (drill) in every corner to get them optimized.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

Nice write up and cool stories!   :banana: