Main Menu

Grizzly drill press

Started by Burdar, April 05, 2018, 08:58:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Dad called last night.  His neighbor's coworker is selling a Grizzly drill press #G5046.  He wants $150 for it.  I tried to find some pics online but didn't come up with much.  I found this link that gives the specs and has a small pic.
https://books.google.com/books?id=evcDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=grizzly+G5046+drill+press&source=bl&ots=rH9fA4ZuFp&sig=m9UQkdT_j8gmnJVS8PfzPBTSTI0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjx98HAvqPaAhUEXq0KHRgUD2EQ6AEISjAK#v=onepage&q&f=false

It looks a little strange to me.  The entire upper head assembly looks like it's on a shaft that can move in and out.  It just seems like this would be a spot for a lot of slop.  Anyone have any experience with something that looks like this?  Worth the price?

1 Wild R/T

Search radial drill press..... I never have seen a purpose for having the head swivel & travel but I'm sure if you need it it would be handy....  I just use my mill....

Spikedog08

Looks like a decent drill . . . not sure what it is worth.  Says that it is no longer available for sale . . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Burdar

OK, I get it now. 

I could really use a drill press.  I doubt I'd have much use for the tilt feature but you never know.  Is Grizzly a good brand?

Brads70

I guess it depends on how much use it endured? I'd  think that tilt feature could be a weak spot?  I would chuck a long rod  in it and pull on it to see/test out if it moves when locked?

bluespruce

I have a cabinet shop full of grizzly tools, have found out that the middle price and up have less issues than the starter tools from them. Most of what I have is used 5-7 days a week since 2000.