Main Menu

Hood lifting on highway

Started by Bluemonster71RT, April 28, 2018, 12:09:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bluemonster71RT

Anyone have what seems to be excessive hood lift from air pushing it up while driving on the highway?  It seems that the left side front of my hood lifts an awful lot while hitting about 60 mph or more or on real windy/gusty days. I don't think it will unlatch but it is a concern.

Its latched good and flush with the fenders. (up front at least) Any way to fix it without use of hood pins? I do not recall this happening prior to my reassembly. Lower the latch up front maybe?

Brads70

Possibly your hinges are worn?

lulurocks(Ken)

Are you sitting on the 2 round height adjusters at the front of the fenders equally when the hood is closed ?

The hood needs to touch both sides when latched .. if you push on the left or right side when latched will the other side move up?  If one is lower it can cause a seasaw effect at speed.

Just a thought.... 

Chryco Psycho

I agree the bumpers should be tight to the hood , I assume you don/t have hood pins ?

RUNCHARGER

I agree: You shouldn't be able to push down on a hood corner, the bumper should be right there holding it, if that is okay then maybe lower the hood catch a sliver. I have never experienced this problem, so it is not normal and hood pins are not necessary although they are a nice safety backup.
Sheldon

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Ok guys.........I have had this before.........Way back in 1971.........I traveled from mid Virginia to Nashville, Tenn on I40 mostly...back and forth to school.  425 miles one way.....Speed limit then was 75.   Traffic then would run lots of times 85 or 90.  The hood on my 70 Challenger...the center would stay put but the ends over the headlights would raise.........So that is when I put in the hood pins............So yes.  Be safe.  Don't drive fast!!   :stop:

Bluemonster71RT

Ok so to answer some of the things.  I have adjusted the bumpers to touch the hood but I can still pull up the left side front corner. The right side does not pull up at all. I cannot push down on the left side so I assume that it is sitting firmly on the bumper. I know that my hinges have a little slack because I can push down about 1/4" in the back when closed but I don't see that causing the front only to lift.  I really don't want to put pins in my original metal. Would lowering the catch as low as I can and then raising the bumper higher to add tension help or hinder the situation?     

RUNCHARGER

It will help. You want the bumpers adjusted up as high as they will go without pushing the hood edge higher than the fenders. You want the hood latch adjusted down a bit so that it secures the hood tightly against the bumpers but you can close the hood without having to apply too much pressure on it.
When the hinges are in good shape and the hood, latch and bumpers are adjusted properly you can let go of the hood at about 2 feet high and it will close and latch by itself. We usually don't try this with our old cars though.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

You should never have to push down on the rear of the hood , if you loosen the hinge bolts & lift the front of the hood so it will twist the rear of the hinge down a little it will sit lower in the rear as you close it . Simple adjustment usually requires 2 people , although I have done this by myself  :wrenching:

Bluemonster71RT

I believe I am out of adjustment there. I tried to get the hood lower in the back but looks like both the hinges to the body are bottomed out of adjustment and the hinge to hood are also maxed.  I figure that maybe there is just too much slack in the actual hinge or my fenders are too low, even though there have never been shims under them before. 

RUNCHARGER

Actually: You raise the hinges on the inner fenders (usually to a position about centered) to lower the hinge in the closed position a lot of the time. If the hinges are set in the inner fender too low it does not allow the hinge to drop to the correct position when closed and it wants to raise the back of the hood up.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

simple lift the front of the hinge or the whole hinge & twist it so it is front high , never seen one that was not adjustable

Bluemonster71RT

Hood is not lifting anymore. I had to dab a little grease to make sure the bumpers were touching. So now I gotta try to move the hinges as you suggest as the hood is now an 1/8 over the fender all the way on the drivers side. The hood has been that hardest to adjust so far. Ill try the raising the hinges thing and see what happens.

Chryco Psycho

You want to twist the hinge so the front is higher to pull the rear of the hood down  :bigthumb: