Main Menu

How long do these red cap batteries last

Started by Mopsquad, June 10, 2020, 05:39:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/Script/S27M_L.html

I have one in my car as it came with the purchase.  It's been in there since 2008.  The car starts every time but wondering if it may be affecting my new 150A alternator voltage.  The voltmeter reads 14.6 at start then 13.2v within 30 mins.  I'm going to take it to the local parts store to test.  I love the look but was wondering what the lifespan of these things are for $360.  :bigmoney:

Matt M

You are going to get a lot of mixed reviews.
Some guys have had great luck and have lasted 9-10 years.

I know many who haven't, 2 year batteries.
Most guys will only do that one time.

People gut them and put a smaller battery inside.
Some go with the battery toppers.
I bought the red caps this time..........

benlavigne

Well, 12 years is a long time for any battery...
Newer repro batteries are AGM, same as the ones people put in when gutting old ones...
You need the proper charger to maintain them when not in regular use.
Mine have lasted for many years, forgot to replace it last time I traded cars, so I just got a new one,

Ben

Rich G.

They'll last a long time as long as you don't let them go dead. I put a battery tender on every now and then to keep it charged in the off season.

Mopsquad

Thx for the input fellas.  I'm going to see what kind of life it has left at the parts store. I have been using a battery tender on it.  Hopefully the correct style of tender.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

71383bee

Just an FYI

I ordered mine in mid April. Still waiting. They have significant backlog right now due to the shut down.  I was told I'm still 1-2 weeks out.

They are a modern high performance AGM and I was instructed to use a tender.  My tender for my optima battery will work.

I had one in my super bee for around 3 years that I had it and it worked great.

Only downside is the price! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

screamindriver

Don't get the turbostart AGM style confused with the "battery in a battery" style that the now deceased Antique Auto Battery used to make.. Typically the AGM was the one that lasted for many years...At one time there was a standard lead acid as well as the others so depending on just which battery you bought had a lot to do with the " I only got X years from the battery" complaints..
  I haven't checked for a warranty now that a new company bought the turbostart line of batteries, but when Axion battery owned it they came with a 3 year warranty just like any other battery...

Mopsquad

Got the battery tested. Immediately tested as bad. So interesting that it can start my car every time but test bad.  My concern was that the new alternator voltage was dropping within 15mins of running. I'll put my red top optima from my other classic just to see if the alternator voltage drops.