Main Menu

How many of these Challengers were made ??

Started by Penstar Pete, January 13, 2019, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Penstar Pete

I'm trying to find out how many Challengers were made with these color options ? and How rare is this car ??

1973 Challenger Ralleye 340 Auto non A/C. It has: JH23 H3B

A57 Challenger Ralleye
TX9 PAINT CODE BLACK VELVET
V1W FULL VINYL TOP  WHITE
A6XW BLK W/ WHITE BUCKET SEATS

I've seen a few Black w/ White int, but haven't run across any with Blk Ext / Wht Top / Wht Int. 

Any info would be appreciated  Thanks   :bigthumb:

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @Penstar Pete   :welcome:   :banana:

While the exact break down of colors with options is not available, I can tell you that black is a very rare color!  :yes:  Can you share some photos?   :please:

anlauto

Cody is correct. Chrysler never kept records of option combinations. They only kept records of option percentages for the model year.

For example "what percentage of total Challenger production was painted TX9" and/or "what percentage of total Challenger production had V1W"  BUT what nobody can tell you is what percentage of total production had both options together. Does that make sense ?

These records were never made public on purpose, but some people have had their hands on them to my knowledge for at least the 1970 and 1971 model years....not sure if anybody has 1973 percentage reports @6bblgt ??

Another thing to keep in mind is that some people who run registries for our cars have made claims that "this purple car with a yellow strip is only 1 of 2 "  but when in reality they are quoting numbers of cars "known to exist"  Experts like Galen Govier have thousands and thousands of cars in his registry....so if he tells you you have a one of XXX cars, he's only referring to ones in his registry....NOT ALL CARS ARE REGISTRIED .

It's a very safe bet to say your black/white Challenger is rare, maybe one of one or maybe one of a dozen....who knows  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

bennydodge

Total number I've seen are between 27,XXX and 32,XXX cars total. In 1973 there was essentially only one model available. The A57 rallye was no longer a separate model but instead was an option package. It was either a 318 or 340 and each could be optioned with the A57 package. As already stated, you'll never know for sure how many were made that way but I'd be willing to bet your car as optioned was fairly scarce.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

70 Challenger Lover

You may not care to hear this but as someone who has had lots of desirable cars over the years, sometimes I'd rather not know. Once you learn how rare something is, you feel guilty making changes to it because it's so rare. It's a lousy feeling to agonize over making a change to your own car just because you feel some sort of obligation to keep it original.

I have a 70 Challenger JH car with an N code 383 and a four speed. They only made 450 of them, rarer than the RT with the same Powertrain. It took me a long time to talk myself into deviating from original as I rebuild it. The next car I buy and build will be a plain 318 car so I can modify the heck out of it without any guilt.

71383bee

Quote from: Penstar Pete on January 13, 2019, 12:55:02 PM
I'm trying to find out how many Challengers were made with these color options ? and How rare is this car ??

A57 Challenger Ralleye

I've seen a few Black w/ White int, but haven't run across any with Blk Ext / Wht Top / Wht Int. 

Welcome to the 73 Rallye club!

The black/white interior combo is the same as my current rallye.  Also have the white top as well.  As for rareness i believe the 340 and tranny combo is the bigger factor.  As this was the dawn of the emissions era and hi po was on its way out.  Since all challengers were v8's in 73 its hard to find numbers breaking it down between motor.  I did find an obscure number for 340 4 speeds produced in 73 as 1,673 but could not locate a number on autos.  Total was 27,930.  My guess is its around 4k or so. 

Either way cool car and lets see some pics! 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

anlauto

Quote from: 71383bee on January 15, 2019, 11:45:08 AM

A57 Challenger Ralleye

The black/white interior combo is the same as my current rallye.  Also have the white top as well.  As for rareness i believe the 340 and tranny combo is the bigger factor.  As this was the dawn of the emissions era and hi po was on its way out.  Since all challengers were v8's in 73 its hard to find numbers breaking it down between motor.  I did find an obscure number for 340 4 speeds produced in 73 as 1,673 but could not locate a number on autos.  Total was 27,930.  My guess is its around 4k or so. 

@71383bee
According to Galen Govier's white book:
1973 Challenger 8-cyl = 27930
                        318-2 = 19495

340-4 = 8435
                             3spd = 279
                             4spd  = 1676
                             auto = 6480
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71383bee

Quote from: anlauto on January 15, 2019, 12:16:20 PM
Quote from: 71383bee on January 15, 2019, 11:45:08 AM

A57 Challenger Ralleye

@71383bee
According to Galen Govier's white book:
1973 Challenger 8-cyl = 27930
                        318-2 = 19495

340-4 = 8435
                             3spd = 279
                             4spd  = 1676
                             auto = 6480

Thanks Alan!  That is awesome to know.
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top