Main Menu

If you could go back in time...

Started by Cuda Cody, May 25, 2017, 11:05:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MEK-Dangerous

I would drive it. Keep it numbers matching. And of course, never considering selling it for at least 40 years.   :)

CudaMoparRay

Drive it keep all the original parts as I replaced them with new more modern improved parts and keep it for life

jimynick

Well, to play the game- and game it is because I couldn't afford one then and I sure can't afford one now; but.... if I COULD'VE bought one, I'd've driven it in the good weather and stored it in the bad and with retrospect, I'd've also dipped it in wax the day it came home and undercoated it yearly to keep it from rotting the way Canadian cars did in that day. I'd never sell it (unless circumstances demanded it) as long as I was able to get in, depress the clutch and drive the damn thing. Take the bride and kids out for ice cream and see if I could still get said bride to grab the dash board like she used to do when I hammered it! LOL   :yes:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

HP2

I'd wait 5 years for the oil embargo to drive prices down...again.

usraptor

Well I did buy a new '70 'Cuda and it was my daily driver.  If I had it to do over again I would have ordered the car with power steering or at least added it after my wife decided she couldn't drive it without PS.  Also, I wouldn't have sold it and kept it, despite the oil embargo and gas shortage.  Then I would have gone out and bought 5 Hemi Cuda convertibles and put them in storage for the next 50 years and used them as my retirement fund.   :)

340challconvert

I agonize over a question like this because I was buying, driving, selling and breaking up cars for parts during the late 1970's and early 1980's, not thinking of future value and just enjoying some of the cars I would have to drive. I can only say that I wish I had held on to certain cars at the time.  Some of my "regret" cars are:   :'(

- 70 Challenger RT 440-6 pk car, automatic, B7 blue with bumble stripe, dana trac pak, 15" rallye's, and a shaker hood with hood pins.  PS, PDB.  Think i paid about $1750 for it in 1975

- 70 Challenger RT convertible 383-4sp, Plum crazy, black RT stripe, 3:23 posi, black convertible top, PS, manual drum

- 71 Challenger convertible, with 383 hp engine, automatic, in hemi orange, black interior, rallye dash, flat hood with hood pins, needed a new rear shock brace welded in, Dodge dealer took
  care of it for me for 250. at the time.  Paid only $500. for the car at the time.

- How about a 70 Gran Coupe convertible in burnt orange, 383 2bll, automatic with white leather interior and white top.  Had a very wavy body and needed to be reworked.

And of course my first Challenger RT I bought for $950 in 1973. It was Y1 yellow with a black bumble stripe, and PS, but not much else.  Sold it to buy the 440-6 car two years later.

To answer the original question: I would have kept the 440-6 Shaker car and after driving it for a while, put it away for intermittent use.
I would have also kept the 1971 hemi orange vert, left the 383 HP engine intact ( I swapped over a 340 engine into it because I wanted a small block) and left the flat hood w hood pins on it rather then installing an RT hood. I later thought it could have been ordered as a Pace Car replica (flat hood w pins and orange paint)?

I have to be grateful that after all of this, I did keep one car, the one I own today (1970 Challenger A66 convertible, automatic car) that I am currently and finally working on.

Ah regrets!!!  If I could only go back in Time!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

jimynick

"Jungle Pam? Meet the real Jungle Jim! Ahhhhh-ahhhhhh-ahhhhhh!!!")!!!*  LOL, I'm sure that's what the original Jungle Jim yelled manys a time back in the day!! Did you ever read how he met her? She was walking down the street from high school and Jim pulled up in a Vette and talked her into the car- and out of her shorts as well it seems! Ah yes, the 60's..... :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Wedg2Go

Good days! Good days! Yup-yup-yup!

Challengers, Cudas, Drive-ins, Boone's Farm, pillow chairs, sexual revolution,...ummm? Now I forgot the rest after sexual revolution!

Yup! Good days! *sigh*

*Where's that time machine when you need one?*

RzeroB

Quote from: HP2 on May 30, 2017, 08:59:14 AM
I'd wait 5 years for the oil embargo to drive prices down...again.

There you go! Prices tanked - you could have picked up 2 or 3 for what a brand new one would have cost. 1 for driving; 1 for racing; and 1 for putting in long-term storage. Great plan HP2!

While I was there I would look up Christie Brinkley too!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)