Main Menu

Interesting T/A coming up Mecum Dallas.

Started by Roadman, August 21, 2017, 12:52:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

MoparDave

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 21, 2017, 12:59:01 PM
Black on a TA is about as cool as it gets.   :inlove:  Wish the restoration was to a higher level.  The little details might hold this one back from it top potential, but I think someone will still step up for the color combo.

Looks to me to be a "Just Dashes" dash pad.  Looks a little puffy and swollen to me.  Look around the emblem on the passenger side of the dash.  Still looks really good.

agree on that dash pad. way too puffy.  Also no studs on the fender rail ??all bolts. little things like that shouldn't be overlooked.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

bpsmopar

Quote from: anlauto on September 08, 2017, 04:36:00 PM
I wonder if @bpsmopar bought lot #205 ?

No I didn't, the Cuda needs a total Resto. Many issues with the car. Someone overpaid, not me! :huh:

anlauto

Quote from: bpsmopar on September 08, 2017, 07:07:18 PM
Quote from: anlauto on September 08, 2017, 04:36:00 PM
I wonder if @bpsmopar bought lot #205 ?

No I didn't, the Cuda needs a total Resto. Many issues with the car. Someone overpaid, not me! :huh:

Just from the few things we discussed, I thought it was "well sold" for somebody.......Certainly not the new owner... :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

So this AAR sold for $84k with fees. How many things are wrong in this pic? Ready go!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 303 Mopar on September 08, 2017, 09:06:12 PM
So this AAR sold for $84k with fees. How many things are wrong in this pic? Ready go!

four without looking very long or very hard... And I don't care to look any further.. I prefer to enjoy them rather than pick at them like roadkill  (the dead animal, not Dave & Finnegan)

fc7cuda

It was really nice to see a strong group of Mopars roll through town and sell really strong.  We rarely see good collections of Mopars at Dallas auctions so maybe these results will attract more sellers  in the future.  :twothumbsup:

The sales definitely made it a sellers auction.  If you're an OEM purist, you'd be surprised/disappointed with the cars.  I speaking mainly of the AAR/TAs and such.  As stated earlier the bolts on the Black TA fenders is a clear sign that the restoration shop is not a high caliber Mopar shop.  The car sold for super strong money based on what it is, and not the OE restoration.  :alan2cents:

Purple AAR could/should have been a much nicer car with just alittle more attention to detail, but overall may have not made much difference in the selling price.  B3/V1G TA is a nice car and probably sold about right.  The 2 Hemicuda clones were pretty good deals if you don't/can't do the work yourself and just want a done car.  My fav was the 2000 GTS-ACR, man what a sweet and super rare car!!

Crazy high money for the Superbird, IMO. 

4 months till Scottsdale, if this type buying continues it could be very interesting.  :popcorn:

Tom

303 Mopar

Quote from: fc7cuda on September 09, 2017, 05:33:07 AM
The sales definitely made it a sellers auction.  If you're an OEM purist, you'd be surprised/disappointed with the cars.  I speaking mainly of the AAR/TAs and such.  As stated earlier the bolts on the Black TA fenders is a clear sign that the restoration shop is not a high caliber Mopar shop.  The car sold for super strong money based on what it is, and not the OE restoration.  :alan2cents:

I noticed some of the Mopars sold to phone bidders which makes me wonder if they had a chance, or someone at the auction, to look over the quality of the car they were buying.  I agree the prices are good for a T/A and AAR, but I would expect a more correct car for that money.  Makes me wonder what else was over looked during the restoration.   :dunno:

AAR#2

. . .  If you're an OEM purist, you'd be surprised/disappointed with the cars.  I speaking mainly of the AAR/TAs and such.  As stated earlier the bolts on the Black TA fenders is a clear sign that the restoration shop is not a high caliber Mopar shop.

Maybe a bit off beat for this thread but I find it disturbing when comments like this are stated as all encompassing. I for one was well aware of the claims that all AARs/T/As come with the stud and nut at two locations, however, when I disassembled my car I'm about 99.9% sure the fenders and bolts were original, and not a stud/nut to be found on engine bay fenders. I was faced with the dilemma to change what is socially acceptable or build the car back as it left the factory. I chose to not change history and keep things as they were. I'm certain I will have many an enthusiast with good intention point out the error of my ways, so I've resolved myself to being ready to have this battle with every showing. My concern is that it's entirely possible that history, over time, is changed based on comments like this, and at some point history will be lost.

I agree that there are generally items that reflect a common build, but one always needs to question plausibility and look for other indicators, particularly when talking fasteners and head markings

RUNCHARGER

Good point AAR: I'm sure you documented what you found on disassembly.
Sheldon

AAR#2

Yes sir, tons of photos and still I wish I had taken more. Mine was built just prior to the missing AAR build dates, I often wonder if that wasn't a contributor to some of the items I found, i.e. Low supply of correct pieces.

My point is to make people aware that while instinctively we believe something to be true, always hesitate to judge, unless of course you see Dorman bolts or something completely out of wack  :drunk:

Cuda Cody

Good documents will always trump rules of thumbs.  However, I did not see any restoration documents with the black T/A.  Without any documents and based on the other things that were not done to what most would consider a "high level" I would guess that it was not one of the exceptions.  With your car you have photos to proof how you found it.  That is awesome.  We know there was a lot of things that were unique with each of these cars and being able to be the first person to take something apart and document it is a big plus.

JH27N0B

I don't know what it is about TX9 T/As and AARs, but that color seems to increase the price 50-100% over an equivalent car in a what I'd call a good color (red, blue, sassy grass green etc).
In 2010 when prices were down, an interesting "double black" TX9 T/A was at the Mecum auction in Chicago.  I was very serious about it as I had an open spot in the garage and an untapped HELOC!  The car was a 4 speed but was NOM, had a few obvious errors like wheel well trim, steel wheels that weren't 450s and no trim rings, etc.
I figured with NOM and errors,  I had a chance on the car for under 60K, but asking around, I was told the owner had been advertising it for $120K, so knew he wouldn't drop the reserve and sell in my budget if I was high bidder.
The car bid to 78K reserve not met. But I ended up getting my '71 V code Challenger at the same auction for far less than I'd imagined, so I was happy, and filled that empty space in my garage!
The next spring, the car was listed again at mecum Indy, and sold for $110K!  I was shocked at the price, as if it was red, yellow or orange I can't image it would have brought much over $50K.

fc7cuda

Quote from: AAR#2 on September 09, 2017, 07:06:33 AM
. . .  If you're an OEM purist, you'd be surprised/disappointed with the cars.  I speaking mainly of the AAR/TAs and such.  As stated earlier the bolts on the Black TA fenders is a clear sign that the restoration shop is not a high caliber Mopar shop.

Maybe a bit off beat for this thread but I find it disturbing when comments like this are stated as all encompassing. I for one was well aware of the claims that all AARs/T/As come with the stud and nut at two locations, however, when I disassembled my car I'm about 99.9% sure the fenders and bolts were original, and not a stud/nut to be found on engine bay fenders. I was faced with the dilemma to change what is socially acceptable or build the car back as it left the factory. I chose to not change history and keep things as they were. I'm certain I will have many an enthusiast with good intention point out the error of my ways, so I've resolved myself to being ready to have this battle with every showing. My concern is that it's entirely possible that history, over time, is changed based on comments like this, and at some point history will be lost.

I agree that there are generally items that reflect a common build, but one always needs to question plausibility and look for other indicators, particularly when talking fasteners and head markings

The fender bolt/stud was one of several items I noticed to be generally considered incorrect on the Black TA.  It was also stated earlier in this thread.  No disturbance was intended, just part of my overall observance of a car that could/should have been better, especially for the money it brought.   :alan2cents:

:drinkingbud:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: AAR#2 on September 09, 2017, 07:06:33 AM

Well stated & I agree 100% & it's allot more details than just the studs on T/A AAR fenders though, I personally know of an example of a T/A that had only bolts, I knew of the car when the original owner still owned it, I know the guy that bought it from him & still owns it so I have no doubt it originally had bolts mounting the fenders..

The one that still gets me is the R/T SE tail panels... The all knowing have stated that they are always astrotone/textured argent... Yet my uncle bought his R/T SE new & it was black, I bought mine in 75 & the original panel was damaged & removed from the car but still with the car... It was black... I've seen them both ways... And in one discussion over on Moparts it was pointed out that there is no separate listing the the parts manual........ To which I & a few others started listing lots of parts with no part numbers listed....