Main Menu

Is It Time (to sell)?

Started by 71vert340, June 12, 2019, 08:58:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

Here's to clarify on the trunk floor. The center pan itself is solid as far as I can tell. I gave the body shop in the early 80s some great trunk floor extensions to replace the ones on the car as they were in rough shape. They only used part of the extensions and it's not even close to todays standards. Here's a couple of pics of the trunk floor I took today In the right side photo, you can see where they used a lot of seam sealer near the tail lights. Same on the drivers side in second photo. I plan on removing it to see what I have. The rust spots you see were caused by the water trapped under the mat when a water bottle spilled and is surface only. The body shop painted the trunk (painted plugs - blah). That's why I said floor extensions replaced and maybe small patches behind rear bumper bracket.. I've found when removing seam sealer there can be other problems so I'm always expecting more. The  right rear trunk corner seems to have leak problems when driving in rain (tire spray?). The passenger compartment floor pans were in good shape with the exception of some pitting under gas pedal about 2 inches in diameter but not through when I replaced the carpet in early 80s. So, maybe a small patch there. Lower quarters, maybe patches. Entire front end is in good shape especially the cowl area where it typically rusts near the drain. That's all I can think of. I know the ideal is to save as much original metal as possible. I wish I had a place close that would do that. I've kept excellent spare fenders and trunk lid in case anything is damaged.
Terry

71vert340

oops, here's the passenger side trunk pic.
Terry

Katfish

Never recoup restoration cost, never.
Sell as is, if you're selling.

anlauto

Quote from: Katfish on June 12, 2019, 01:54:54 PM
Never recoup restoration cost, never.
Sell as is, if you're selling.

That's where you're wrong in this particular case. If he has nothing invested and a restoration will cost him $75K the car will easily be worth more then the cost of restoration. What's difficult is putting a current value on the car today, adding that to the cost of restoration and see if you can still sell it for more.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

I'd get insurance on it that would make you comfortable driving it and drive the wheels off of the car.

If that car doesn't do it for you anymore, then find something that will.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Katfish

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I've never ever heard someone coming out of a restoration, or even a simple upgrade, and saying, "that cost what I expected"

Very few of these cars are investments, quite the opposite, it's an expensive hobby.
Few people have the discipline to keep track of the true cost be honest with themselves.

anlauto

When you're restoring a car that is worth a considerable amount of money, like a six figure shaker convertible, it quite easy to keep the restoration cost well below the resale value. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

71vert340

Alan, if I were located closer to you, I'd turn the car over to you so it would be done right. When my son and I built the 71 Challenger hardtop, the rear window Dutchman panel was not available so I had access to a shear and break machine and made the pieces for the bottom of the rear window opening and welded them in. I also welded in a couple of patches in the lower rear quarters about 2" in diameter. I can weld and repair bodies but at 67, find I lack enthusiasm for it. I may have to do the repairs on the convertible as I don't know if I trust anyone out this way for a total restoration. There are a couple of guys in the local Mopar club that also do body work that I'm friends with and can probably get them to help me with it (their cars look great). The local Mopar club members also know a few reputable body guys here that I'll ask them about. I can do probably 90% of the work. The engine and transmission have already been rebuilt. Thanks for the input.
Terry

anlauto

I restored a car for Kevin Suydam in Seattle WA  :dunno:

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 12, 2019, 05:51:44 PM
I don't know what the value is worth working back but if this is a $125k car and a proper resto is going to cost $75k you would be worry ahead to just sell it for $50k now and not involve yourself in the stress of restoring it. There is no point in restoring it to sell it.

Being in the business of restoring cars, I don't disagree with this statement. :handshake:

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Alan, I thought about this one a bit and have thought about what I would do if it was MY car and I came up with the same figures but a different feeling. Again I forgot about someone else owning the car and thought about what I myself would do;
My initial thought (and initial thoughts are quite often dead nutz). Was the car is worth $50k minimum as is, $75k minimum for a proper resto, end result realistically $125k or so. IMO pursuing a proper (and there is no other kind on a shaker convt.) resto on a car you are going to sell is probably not worth the stress.
However, this car will always go up in value. I would entertain restoring the car properly and enjoy it for five years or maybe even more, then let it go. In 5 or 10 years the car will net $200k and up no problem.
You love the car or you wouldn't have kept it this long. The bad thing with proper restoes is that you won't drive it that much, but you most likely don't drive it that much right now anyway. The car is a part of your life, why create an emptiness?
Sheldon

E74cuda

You might want to contact Tom at Rocket Restorations. He deals with Mopar only and is in your area.

js27

Hi Terry,
I feel your pain as I am going through it myself. It is a very hard decision to make. I have had Mopars in my garage most of my life.They came and went for the most part except my last two. I had my 67 GTX for 27 years and my Challenger R/T Vert for 22 years. I restored them both.  I thought about selling for years but never could bring myself to pull the trigger. Then 2 years ago at 62 years of age I had a massive heart attack. That was enough to make up my mind. I sold my GTX last Year on June 13 and exactly one year later which is TODAY I am sending off my Challenger title to its new owner. I sold them and my 30 year parts collection because of my health but also like you, the cars sat more than they got driven. I took them to maybe one show in the last 5 years and maybe 2 cruise nights. After going to hundreds of show and cruises over the last 30 years it got old. I have boxes of trophies collecting dust. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the hell out of those years but over the years it lost its luster. I too got to the point of being afraid to drive them. 3 years ago I was out enjoying a sunny day with the top down and some dumb teenage girl went right through a stop sign while she was texting and I had to turn my car sideways so she didn't hit me. It is a tough decision to make and I have had pain in my stomach and lost sleep over the last couple day knowing my Challenger is going away. For me and my circumstances I feel it is the right thing to do. We have no children to leave them to and my wife isn't going to keep them around so away they go. People on here all have their opinions on what you should do but they are all in different situation than you. Your car is a piece of you as mine were. Do I regret selling mine ? The GTX is gone a year now and sometimes when I go in the garage and see that empty space I get a little butterfly in my stomach but it goes away.  Soon I will be walking into a empty garage and I am sure I will get bigger butterflies but I think it will be alright. I always said that My cars were my 401K since I don't have any others. I will be 64 this Nov so time to start thinking about retirement and now I can afford it. Your car is very special to you especially with all the memories you have and it is a very nice rare Shaker car. I know I  will never find another rust free R/T big block vert restored for what I sold mine for but then if I wanted one I would have never have sold mine. You said you have a 2015 Challenger you enjoy  and are not afraid to drive so you get more pleasure out of it than your vert. I also thought if I feel the need for speed I would pick up a new one and enjoy the comfort-handling and AIR conditioning ( I live in South Carolina). If you want a OE restoration and want to dump $75,000.00 into your car that you will probably never drive because you will now have a way bigger investment. Can you sell it for more money- maybe-depends on how the market goes. It is down overall I feel. I see Hemi-b-bodies that use to bring 6 figures are now selling for $50-60 . AAR and TA were all over 6 figures at one time and now same 50-70. If you want to keep it then just do a freshening up and try to enjoy it more ( if that is possible) Sell it as is--if the price is right-do it.  Whatever you decide I wish you luck and know what you are going through. Next week all I will have is as Jim Croce song says " Photographs and Memories"
JS27

YellowThumper

Difficult decision that many struggle over later in our days.
The quality and enjoyment of the newer ones satisfy most our needs now.
It takes a strong spirit to keep and drive them nowadays.
As has pointed out, selling unrestored would most likely yield the best profit.
For those who state restored and sell you will get more out of it. My counter for that is how much time and investment (not $$$) will you put into a restoration?  As you stated, it has not been driven since 2017. Most of the fire is out for it. What remains is all the sentimental feelings. Thos feelings are attached to it as it is now. Not a restored one.
Even if restored and more profit is had. It will be a minimal % increase in comparison connected to the years that pass during that resto. Can you envision what you would invest the profit on? Finish current projects already in the works?
Speaking from my own experiences. Purchased my Challenger in 83. All my buddies were into the muscle. Now a grand total of Zero buddies remain interested.
I am pushing 60 now. I had 4 projects. Now only 3. Soon to be 2. These two will be our finals in car projects.
Narrow focus to your forward vision. That will provide direction for your question. It helped me.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

Quote from: YellowThumper on June 13, 2019, 10:54:16 AM
Difficult decision that many struggle over later in our days.
The quality and enjoyment of the newer ones satisfy most our needs now.
It takes a strong spirit to keep and drive them nowadays.
As has pointed out, selling unrestored would most likely yield the best profit.
For those who state restored and sell you will get more out of it. My counter for that is how much time and investment (not $$$) will you put into a restoration?  As you stated, it has not been driven since 2017. Most of the fire is out for it. What remains is all the sentimental feelings. Those feelings are attached to it as it is now. Not a restored one.
Even if restored and more profit is had. It will be a minimal % increase in comparison connected to the years that pass during that resto . Can you envision what you would invest the profit on? Finish current projects already in the works?
Speaking from my own experiences. Purchased my Challenger in 83. All my buddies were into the muscle. Now a grand total of Zero buddies remain interested.
I am pushing 60 now. I had 4 projects. Now only 3. Soon to be 2. These two will be our finals in car projects.
Narrow focus to your forward vision. That will provide direction for your question. It helped me.

??? :huh:  you mean months right ?