Main Menu

Should I Sell This???

Started by 7E-Bodies, August 01, 2021, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Ok, so I finally tore into the differential on the 70 440 RT. With the engine nearing completion/break in/dyno at the engine shop, the 727 completely rebuilt and ready, original driveshaft restored, I figured the last part of the drivetrain needs to be ready and waiting as well. The 8-3/4 diff was the only part of the power train that wasn't original. Someone had dropped in a 741 3.91 SG and the original open 3.23 was long gone. $1553 later, and I have a new 3.23 and seal kit coming from Dr Diff. The only place I cheated was I went with SG. I figured if someone doesn't like it when I'm dead, they can pull the SG for originality and liquify one tire at a time.
Leading up to my question, disassembly was pleasant. Zero glitter in the lube and everything rotated super smoothly. All teeth look super smooth with no noticeable wear. I know the 741 is the least favored, but maybe someone would love it? What is something like this worth?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70vert

not sure of a $$ amount, but not much.
I have similar leftover 741 (but with a 2.76 gear), so interested in feedback you get.

Edit: my mistake, I thought the one you were thinking of selling was open. Certainly a sure-grip, and especially if it is the 3.91 gear with good/no wear it would be worth $400+ easy. Whether to keep it mostly depends on if you need that cash and what kind of driving you do. A 3.91 is pretty impractical on the highway unless you have some type of overdrive but if only street driving it is way fun. And if you race it might be worth having a spare but not likely needed if just cruising. Just some thouhgts.

anlauto

Too bad I wasn't closer, I would buy it for my own car....I would say $400-$500 :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@anlauto $400-500 US or Canadian? I know it'd probably be double that sending a 80?# chunk into Canada or I'd gladly help you out.

anlauto

Well there used to be a rule of thumb...3:23's were $300, 3:55's $350, 3:91's $400, 4:10s $450 etc..That would be the same USD or CDN depending on what soil you were standing on...

Then the fact you have a good sure grip in there, I think it has to be worth that, you can't build on for that...YES shipping would cost a small fortune... :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

If I were in your position I'd hang onto it. Spare parts are always good to have around..... That and you might not be to enthused with 3.23 gears?

gzig5

Let me know when you come up with a number.  I've got an extra B-body housing and was thinking of going with a 3.91 if I went through the trouble of fitting it and the spring relocation kit.  We drive between Milwaukee and St. Louis a couple times a year and swinging by Peoria would make for an easy pickup and no shipping.

Burdar

Nothing wrong with a 741.  Dr Diff actually thinks they are very under rated.

7E-Bodies

@gzig5 give me a call. I'll work with you.

dodj

Having a spare diff in the garage can be handy to have. I have a spare 2.76 unit that went in the car while I learned about different diffs to buy and how to set up gears when my last set wore out.
I think you will like the 3.23's though. IMO, 391 is too much for a big block if you like to go for a cruise rather than doing stop light launches.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill