Main Menu

Is there a way to repair the A/C heater switch located in the dash?

Started by Rutro, January 09, 2019, 07:04:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rutro

Has anyone taken the a/c heater switch with the vacuum connection apart? The buttons do not push in easily at all.
I have seen pictures of what is inside. Not sure if remove the plastic staked areas and try to clean the Phenolic plates inside it would help or not. How should I re-attach the back?

I do see I can buy some of these switches, old stock and reproduced ones as well. Trying to see if I can breath life back into mine.

Thanks

Dakota

Jay Bee

Here's a sample of Slott's (Jim) work on those.

EV2RTSE

Yes, you should be able to get it working again by taking it apart and cleaning it. I put one back together that had separated on me, I drilled some holes and used small screws to hold it together. Haven't actually used it yet, but all of the buttons seem to work as they should. Just make note of the sequence of the pieces that come out (the stack of wafers or whatever they're called). I have pics somewhere of the proper sequence.

Rutro

I've got mine apart. What did you use to clean the plates? Mine are sticky. Are the plates supposed to be lubricated?
One more question, on the backside piece (with the vacuum tubes) there are additional fiberglass (I guess that's what the material is) plates. How did you get those off without breaking the little pins holding them on?

EV2RTSE

It sounds like I didn't have to go as far with mine as you do with yours, I just cleaned up the wafers with WD 40 and used screws to reattach the back piece. But here's an article that should help the rest of the way-

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/ams/how-to-rebuild-a-vacuum-heater-control-switch.58