Main Menu

Non AC heater box repair and or restoration

Started by Tifosi, June 17, 2020, 04:17:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tifosi

I have about 85% of a NON-AC heater box with my car, 71 383 Cuda.  The outer shell has the usual breaks on the half that faces the passenger side (maybe worse than usual?) and there are parts missing from within, like the vent flap and the blower motor resistor.  Anyone know where I can get this restored?  Get parts that are not broken?  I don't think I have the ability to redo the fiberglass myself.  I am just not that talented.  I considered putting aftermarket AC in the car but I would rather keep it original.  Thanks in advance to any replies.

anlauto

You know they sell that front half piece in reproduction right ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Tifosi

Yes they do, but it is (not) cheap plastic junk.  I bought one and it sat on the shelf next to the fiberglass one.  A year later it is warped beyond use.  I had to put my restoration on hold to take care of my Mom.  I don't like the plastic and maybe it wouldn't have warped if it was locked in place but maybe it would...the center "sank" in as well.  I can post pictures of it as I still have it.

anlauto

Well see....an old dog like me just learned something new on here today. I did not know they were plastic, I've only seen them advertised, and assumed they were fiberglass like the originals. Thank you for the education  :worship: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70 Challenger Lover

For a while, I was rebuilding these and flipping them at the Mopar swap meets. Nice ones bring big money now. Those flaps inside are extremely difficult to find alone. The boxes themselves are not too bad to repair with fiberglass patching materials. When I repaired them, I didn't get crazy trying to replicate the original color and texture. I simply made them nice and painted them black. They hardly show once installed and I never had trouble selling them.

Mopar5

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Mopar5 on June 17, 2020, 09:24:11 PM
E bay.

I use eBay a lot. Hard to find parts though. Usually you have to buy the whole box. That wouldn't be so bad but shipping is very pricey. The real concern though is these boxes are heavy and also brittle. Expect damage if a heavy box is shipped. Most ebay sellers won't go to lengths to package it safely.

Tifosi

Thanks for the comments.  I will keep an eye out on ebay.  If anyone sees one for sale please let me know.  I don't mind buying a whole box or even a whole already restored box.  Or if anyone hears of someone willing to repair just the fiberglass please let me know.

In the meantime I will search ebay and maybe see if I can find a youtube video of how to create a fiberglass something out of nothing.

Mopar5

A member here Daveh just posted with a bunch of  box parts you may want look.

anlauto

Cuda_mark

I bought my heater box from the heaterbox guy at Carlisle a couple of years ago. I wanted to just buy the front cover but he wouldnt sell just that. I already had a perfect box rebuilt that was just missing the cover so I took the cover off of his and put it on mine. His front cover wasnt perfect, there was a small chip that he had to file down....but it looks pretty decent. There is a local parts hoarder near me that swears he has at least 3 perfect ones....I keep telling him to pull them out of storage so I can buy all of them but, you know the story...

70 Challenger Lover

I'm going to sell off some nice heater boxes at the Spring Fling in Van Nuys next April. We are also trying to buy a vacation home in Nashville right now so it's possible I might be able to bring one out then if the deal goes through. I wouldn't attempt to ship one though as delivery people are really good at throwing stuff around and smashing contents.

Tifosi

That sounds like an opportunity.  Please keep me updated on your trip to Nashville and your local heater box deal.  Much appreciated.  In the mean time I am still looking but have not seen anything.

71vert340