Main Menu

Location for cutouts

Started by 392 Cuda, March 06, 2020, 02:25:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

392 Cuda

I'm trying to decide where to install my electric cutouts... there isn't enough room between the collectors and the trans cross member (3.5" headers, 3" x-pipe)

I'm debating putting them just behind the X. Has anyone put them back there?

Is there a science behind the location (besides being before the mufflers)?

usraptor

I could have sworn I had some pics of mine with the car on a lift but if I do I can't find them.  Anyway, I went out to the shop and took these pics.  Since the car sits so low I was unable to get a pic of the X Pipe.  However, while the pics don't show the X Pipe maybe by looking at the surrounds trans mount, seat mounting bolts, etc you can figure out if they are in front or behind the X pipe.  I'm fairly certain they are in front of the X Pipe, but don't quote me. At my age my memory isn't that great.  FYI, TTI headers and TTI 3" exhaust w/X pipe.  Also, in the third and fifth the fresh weld on the exhaust pipe is where the pipe for the electric cutout was welded in.  In this link, https://forum.e-bodies.org/exhaust/17/who-has-electric-cutouts/2218/msg34869#msg34869, there are a few pics of other's cutouts and where they were installed.  Good luck.

392 Cuda

@usraptor , I appreciate the info & pics.

I took another look today, and I think I can put them right at the beginning of the bend before the x-pipe, aimed back parallel to the pipes.

I'll be welding these on the side. Thought it was an interesting kit.

usraptor

392 Cuda, I think that would work best. Good luck.  :wrenching:

Claudia

:alan2cents: My cutouts are mounted just behind the transmission mount cross member.

392 Cuda

They ended up fitting in there nicely!

Easy install for the novice welder with the Badlandz format.

usraptor