Main Menu

Modern touches, should I bother? More to go wrong?

Started by ledphoot, October 26, 2021, 11:05:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

As I start working on the interior of the car / finishing the electrical side of things I am pondering some additions / upgrades:

1) Power Windows
2) Remote Door Locks
3) Keyless ignition

I haven't driven a car with Crank Up windows in forever and reaching over to the passenger side to roll the window down isn't quite as easy as it was when I was a teenager with 8% body fat :)

The IDidIt steering column came with a GM key and they have a keyless ignition solution called touch-n-go which replaces the ignition locking integrates with door looks etc., using RFID like modern cars to gain access and start the vehicle.

On the surface this sound appealing / cool. But I also see how this adds unnecessary complexity to the car and increases the number of things that can go wrong.

What do you guys think?

gzig5

I don't need the keyless ignition part but I'll be going with power windows and locks for the reason you stated.  If the keyless comes along for the ride, more the better.  My 2020 Ram has it and I get spoiled not pulling the key out of my pocket.  I think doing it integrated all in one from a single vendor would minimize the risk.  And I'll of course let you work out the bugs.  :burnout:

Filthy Filbert

sounds interesting.  Does anyone make an aftermarket power window conversion for these cars? or do you have to source original or remanufactured parts?

Keyless entry/ignition would be neat, but not something I'm interested in.   I like having a featureless toy.    My daily driver has the power windows, seats, locks, mirrors, etc.   I don't need it for the toy that I drive occasionally.     In fact, that's what attracted me to my Dakota so much.  It essentially had 1 option: V8.   Everything else was base model stuff.     Manual windows, locks, mirrors, seats...  In an era where AC was pretty much a "standard option" my truck left the factory without AC.   Same deal on cruise control.    The truck did have a couple small options, which may have been part of 1 package.  Things like the fog lights, premium AM/FM CD player sound system with the additional tweeters and external amp.      V8.  Manual transmission, and no other options makes for modern day muscle car....er, I mean truck.

ledphoot

Nu-Relic makes a nice set of power regulators..

https://www.nu-relics.com/Mopar-s/477.htm

I am really on the fence on the whole thing, part of me wants the simplicity.. Another part of me likes the convenience. Just to be clear I have gone through a lot of struggles with fitment of aftermarket parts and I am leaning towards not doing it. KISS principle. It is an idea I will likely get over.

ledphoot

Here is a comparison of the two major players in the aftermarket power window gittups for e-bodies (and others)

anlauto

I bought the Nu-Relic set up for my convertible, haven't installed it yet of course :ohyeah:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

Quote from: anlauto on October 26, 2021, 01:21:40 PM
I bought the Nu-Relic set up for my convertible, haven't installed it yet of course :ohyeah:

What switches are you going to use Alan? How difficult is the wiring?

The main reason I am considering this is it would be a lot easier now the. If I put the car all together and wanted to do it later.

Thanks

anlauto

I went with the "nostalgic" switches...I'm pretty sure. :thinking:

The instructions are pretty vague, so much so, that I called the hot rod shop that I bought them from to confirm.....

Believe it or not there only two wires to hook up GROUND and POSTIVE ...you can choose full time live, or key operated live.

That's it....the kit's wiring is all self-contained from that point. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

ledphoot

Interesting.. I could still literally go either way on this. Ugh. You didn't make my decision easier ;)

But thanks for the input!

Mopsquad

It's a hoot when I have a young passenger and they don't know how the crank windows go down.  Kinda like the rotary phone.

anlauto

Quote from: Mopsquad on October 26, 2021, 01:57:18 PM
It's a hoot when I have a young passenger and they don't know how the crank windows go down.  Kinda like the rotary phone.
:haha: :haha: :haha: YUP...took my 17 year old daughter out in that black Challenger I just finished...she was like WHF? :looney:

dodj

Window cranks are all part of the 'ebody experience' in my opinion. Keep crankin'!

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

ledphoot

Quote from: Mopsquad on October 26, 2021, 01:57:18 PM

I have an box of old tech stuff out in the garage and my nephew was blown away by my Sony Walkman and cassettes. He thought damn you lived in the dark ages, I can just ask Alexa to play whatever song I feel like hearing any time I want.

Then I setup my turntable and introduced him to The Dark Side Of The Moon... LoL...

GoodysGotaCuda

I did a lot of modern upgrades on my car, but I have no interest in power windows, remote locks or keyless ignition personally. If there were factory retrofits that had solid components and factory reliability, maybe.

I haven't recovered the seats yet, but I will go ahead and add heated seats to the front, easy enough and very effective at keeping your core warmer. I do wish I had gone with an electric power steering retrofit, less fluids and such to deal with.

Quote from: ledphoot on October 26, 2021, 11:05:28 AM
As I start working on the interior of the car / finishing the electrical side of things I am pondering some additions / upgrades:

1) Power Windows
2) Remote Door Locks
3) Keyless ignition
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on October 26, 2021, 06:18:33 PM
but I will go ahead and add heated seats to the front
You live in Texas and want heated seats?!?  :clueless:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill