Main Menu

Recreate fender tag from VIN?

Started by b5cuda, November 27, 2017, 07:07:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hi, my '73 Barracuda project came with VIN plate but no fender tag and no paperwork.  Bought the car as a shell, not much left on it.  Can the fender tag info (options, build date, etc.) be recovered using the VIN?   

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  There are some options that can be determined from the body, but it takes an expert.  If you post a bunch of close up photos of the body we might be able to tell you a little about it, but some codes are lost if you do not have the fender tag.

303 Mopar

It's my understanding the places that reproduce tags will require a bs or pic of the current tag.  Otherwise they will not make you a new tag.

anlauto

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 27, 2017, 09:12:19 AM
It's my understanding the places that reproduce tags will require a bs or pic of the current tag.  Otherwise they will not make you a new tag.

Not exactly true....They will make a tag with whatever you want on it...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on November 27, 2017, 09:29:00 AM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 27, 2017, 09:12:19 AM

Not exactly true....They will make a tag with whatever you want on it...

www.datatags.com was very specific on needing a bs or current tag when I had ask them.  Do you know of another place that is willing to make a tag with no proof?

anlauto

Nope, that's who I use all the time. Just got one a couple of weeks ago. I do the lay out myself and send that in with a money order....and away they go....I've never had any questions asked.

b5cuda

Thanks guys, I was afraid that would be the case.  In a sense it doesn't matter because it is a base model and I'm going restomod - just would  be nice to have a fender tag.  I will continue trying to back-track previous owners for more info.  It was a '73 BH car, auto, so a 318.  8.75 open rear, disc brakes, PS.  No swaybars.  White with black stripe as you can see in pic's.  Truly a blank slate! 

anlauto

Do what I did with the last restomod I built....Where the fender tag is supposed to have the vehicle order number, just put RSTOMD ....and put whatever you want for the rest of the codes....

b5cuda

BillR1212

I've read some very heated comments on other forums. Post with care about fender tags. The virtual mob will come out of the wood work. I researched it because people always go to look for mine and give me crap when it's not there. I have my fender tag stored away, but I was thinking of making a custom one for fun, that just had some choice words spelled out in the "code." Like others have said. It's not easy to get them made. Likely a good thing I suppose.

303 Mopar

Quote from: BillR1212 on November 27, 2017, 01:47:00 PM
I've read some very heated comments on other forums. Post with care about fender tags. The virtual mob will come out of the wood work. I researched it because people always go to look for mine and give me crap when it's not there. I have my fender tag stored away, but I was thinking of making a custom one for fun, that just had some choice words spelled out in the "code." Like others have said. It's not easy to get them made. Likely a good thing I suppose.

I think people have a problem when someone is trying to pass a car off for something it is not, like an R code or JOB car.  If it is just made up codes or abbreviations then it should be no issue.

RUNCHARGER

I too would consider an obviously fake tag. Things like Gen3Hemi, black, 4 spd. Stuff like that. You're not faking anything when you make it obvious.
Sheldon

Brads70

I asked them to make me one that said Trans-Am fender as a joke but he wouldn't do it. Seemed pretty obvious to me?  :rofl: