Main Menu

My appraiser is a MORON!

Started by torredcuda, July 03, 2018, 01:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

That's the right thing to do. This way they have a record of the appraiser and they have to deal with it. He may have screwed up on other appraisals as well.
Sheldon

torredcuda

Quote from: 734406PK on July 04, 2018, 08:20:24 AM
Quote from: torredcuda on July 03, 2018, 04:20:16 PM
List of things he missed -
Grill
battery
engine wiring harness
headlight wiring harness
evap cannister
overflow tank (aftermarket)
hood lip seal
radiator support repair and repaint
lower rad hose
spark plug wires
heater hose bracket
sway bar bushing (polyurethane)
power sterring belt
heater hoses
remove fender, header nd valance to paint inner fender correctly
right rubber brake hose
tire? (took some heat)
interior clean up

I figure roughly $2000 just in parts and $3000 in labor and materials.

Sorry to hear about your fire torredcuda! :crying:
Is your repair plan to do the work yourself and have the insurance company reimburse?

Ya, I`ll do everything myself and have Hagerty pay me.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

734406PK

Ok, nothing wrong with that! I'm in the marine service industry and deal with insurance companies quite regularly. As a matter of fact, a potential insurance covered major failure just happened today. From my experience, insurance companies are sticklers for protocol. I doubt Hagerty is any different. When an insurance covered failure occurs, I meet with the surveyor and show him the damage. He in turn will require a formal estimate (Company letterhead)for parts and labor on the repair, which is forwarded to the insurance company for evaluation. If the estimate is within their guidelines, authorization is give to perform the repair and an insurance check is sent to the customer (less the deductible).
Do you have your own auto repair business where you can provide the insurance company with the formal estimate for parts and labor? Nothing wrong if you don't, I wouldn't trust my Mopar repair to most anyone either. It's just corporate protocol, from what i've been told, there is a high level of insurance fraud out there and that effects all of us. 

torredcuda

Everything was done as Hagerty wanted, I filed a claim, was contacted by adjuster and sent an appraiser who appraised the vehicle and sent it to Hagerty. My issue is it`s been 3 1/2 weeks trying to get the appraisal and it`s a frikkin joke of one, my 4 year old could honestly do a better job of listing the damaged parts!

HP_Cuda

This surely doesn't make me want to buy Hagerty insurance.

:bricks:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

torredcuda

Talked to the adjuster this morning, at first he wanted to send me a check for the $2,035 and then send him receipts for added parts I buy but I told him I`m not taking cash out of my pocket due to the incomptetence of the appraiser and I wanted everything in the estimate not in supplements. After going back and forth about how to handle it we and ended up just getting another appraiser to come out. I`ll make a detailed list and make sure he writes everything down that should be repaired/ replaced and hopefully get it straightened out.

734406PK

That's good!  I was going to suggest that you get a more knowledgeable appraiser (surveyor). They are the eyes and ears of the insurance company. As long as your repair estimate cost is inline with the average, you shouldn't have a problem. You can get a few formal estimates from qualified repair shops as a comp for your estimate if necessary. Good luck and I hope things move along smoothly for you!  :bigthumb:

Fern

The problem with these appraisers are they work for the insurance company and there job is to keep the costs as cheap as possible.
Insurance sucks, they never want to pay out but don't be late on a payment or your dropped.
Hope it works or for you, good luck

71-440

Don't feel bad. I had a appraisal  on my Challenger done 2 months ago. Came in at $1600.00 roughly.  A month waiting to get the car in to the shop. The body shop went through all the additional costs (3 weeks to do the additional estimate/supplement) and just got approved for the new estimate. $3600.00 roughly.

So between the body shop and insurance 2 months now.
As long as it gets fixed right I'm ok with it.

Joe

Morty426

61K T/A

Call the corporate office and ask to speak with Mr. Hagerty. I doubt you will be able to but leave him a message. This is what I usually do when I feel I'm getting jerked around by service providers. Corporate doesn't like this type of call. If you don't tell them whats going on at the top we will always be at the bottom.

jimynick

Quote from: Fern on July 05, 2018, 06:43:46 PM
The problem with these appraisers are they work for the insurance company and there job is to keep the costs as cheap as possible.
Insurance sucks, they never want to pay out but don't be late on a payment or your dropped.
Really? I worked as an insurance appraiser for over 30 years and I never screwed ANYBODY out of ANYTHING they had fairly coming to them, so please give that opinion a second thought! Having said that, the easiest way to resolve this is to hire your own appraiser and go over the car and the resulting sheet to make sure it's accurate and realistic and then have your man liaise with the original appraiser after having explained and emailing the adjuster. Do all your discussions either via email or send confirming emails regarding whatever you discussed on the phone. Ask for the adjuster's manager if there's any song and dancing and, as mentioned, be polite and civil- he or she, didn't cause your grief and, if informed correctly and fully, will work to resolve your problem as you're entitled to the service for which you've paid. If the company won't reimburse you for your appraiser, I'm sure he'll work with you and the appraisal to resolve that in a quiet manner. Good luck, we're not all thieves, idiots and knaves.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

734406PK

Quote from: jimynick on July 06, 2018, 07:40:21 PM
Really? I worked as an insurance appraiser for over 30 years and I never screwed ANYBODY out of ANYTHING they had fairly coming to them, so please give that opinion a second thought! Having said that, the easiest way to resolve this is to hire your own appraiser and go over the car and the resulting sheet to make sure it's accurate and realistic and then have your man liaise with the original appraiser after having explained and emailing the adjuster. Do all your discussions either via email or send confirming emails regarding whatever you discussed on the phone. Ask for the adjuster's manager if there's any song and dancing and, as mentioned, be polite and civil- he or she, didn't cause your grief and, if informed correctly and fully, will work to resolve your problem as you're entitled to the service for which you've paid. If the company won't reimburse you for your appraiser, I'm sure he'll work with you and the appraisal to resolve that in a quiet manner. Good luck, we're not all thieves, idiots and knaves.  :cheers:

:iagree: From my experience, appraisers have been very fair. It's a very tough job to make a customer happy after damage to their pride and joy has happened. A good Insurance company tries to make it as painless as possible, but there is always SOME pain.

Fern

I'm sure there's some good appraisers out there, I can only talk by my own experience. I never met one who dosent try to nickel and dime you. Again they work for the insurance co.
I had my son get rear ended and damaged the bumper  (not his fault ) and the insurance Co took off money for a scratch that they said was three before the accident. So he would not pay for the replacement and I had to make up the difference . So excuse me for not trusting appraisers.

734406PK

Quote from: Fern on July 07, 2018, 07:29:54 PM

I'm sure there's some good appraisers out there, I can only talk by my own experience. I never met one who dosent try to nickel and dime you. Again they work for the insurance co.
I had my son get rear ended and damaged the bumper  (not his fault ) and the insurance Co took off money for a scratch that they said was three before the accident. So he would not pay for the replacement and I had to make up the difference . So excuse me for not trusting appraisers.

That can happen, unfortunately.  :angry: With warranty work and insurance jobs, no one is happy most of the time. :dunno: