Main Menu

New Harness, unused wires....

Started by ledphoot, April 01, 2019, 03:57:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

Looking at the new M&H harness and considering the many changes to how the electrical will work in the car with the aftermarket ignition / Holley Sniper ecu, single wire alternator, Headlight relays, Dakota Digital Instrumentation Cluster, etc...

How would you guys address all the unused wires that will be carrying current??? I want to make sure I don't have hot wires laying around in the car and I also want as clean and tidy a wiring job as I can get..

Anybody else been through this?

Thanks guys!

Cuda Cody

What wires with power will not be used?  It's easy to disconnect them from the bulkhead before you install the wiring.

ledphoot

not sure exactly, but the Dakota Digital cluster won't use any of the factory gauge wiring, pretty much all of the engine management will be handle by the ECU and linked to the gauge cluster through a Dakota digital module... No alternator power passing through the bulkhead, no headlight power either. I have to work this out, but yeah I will likely remove the connection from the bulkhead entirely just to be certain. Looks like the ECU is going on the inside of the firewall on the far right. It's gonna be a fun trying to keep this neat and tidy, I hate seeing rats nest wiring in cars, so I have a lot of learning to do :)

Chryco Psycho

the Guage wires can be removed from the bulkhead , power feed wire may be needed for other accessories , all of the gauge will still need power unless fed through the ECU so you can trim them short & heat shrink or cap them with crimp ends , I assume you are going to use a relay bank somewhere for headlights & to power the ECU , fans if electric etc ?