Main Menu

Loose wires and long tails on new steering column harness?

Started by Dakota, July 11, 2020, 07:27:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I bought a replacement harness for my steering column.  I believe it is from M&H through Year One, but it's been a long while since I bought it.

Out of the bag, the battery and ignition wires were not plugged into the column connector and have some extra length to them.  This appears to be intentional but I'm clueless as to why it came this way.  What am I missing here?   

Chryco Psycho

strange is this the part attached to the ign switch ?

anlauto

YES, this is just a universal ignition switch. I get them all the time.

What I do BEFORE installation in the column is remove that hard plastic cover, bend the two wires in a "S" shape to take the slack out and just tape it all up in an area that isn't noticeable, and of course plug the two wire into the connector
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Maybe because you still have the hard plastic cover still on the harness, you can plug the two wires into the connector and just tuck the excess into the plastic cover ? :dunno:

I could never figure out why it's like this, but it was obviously made for several different applications
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Dakota

Thanks for the info.   There is enough wire to make a loop and fit the wires into the plastic connector.   I hadn't considered that there could be applications for this harness that might not need the wires inserted.   All of other M&H harnesses have been perfect fits without modification so this one had me scratching my head.

anlauto

The switch is NOT a M&H part. It is a Standard Motor Products US88 available anywhere like YearOne or even RockAuto :twothumbsup:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=44046&cc=1078567&jsn=442

Dakota