Main Menu

New Vehicle Laws in California

Started by 303 Mopar, January 08, 2019, 05:55:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

That would be asking too much from your elected officials, regardless if Republicans or Democrats.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

JS29

Quote from: 7212Mopar on February 01, 2019, 11:47:36 AM
That would be asking too much from your elected officials, regardless if Republicans or Democrats.
DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO!!!!!! Like the wall around there estate, but not for the boarder.

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Amen!!!! Funny how they were for wall funding when they where in charge to the tune of 40 billion but now since they are not in charge the wall is inhumane  :drunk:

303 Mopar

7212Mopar

I read yesterday the petition by people with enough signatures secured a ballot measures to repeal the new exhaust law in California. I have not seen it in the news. Will see what happen.

ledphoot

Quote from: IRON MAN on January 10, 2019, 10:35:27 AM
Governor Brown's legacy is a  $6.1 BILLION budget surplus when he left office last week. Most of this money came from the gas tax. In 2018, California's economy surpassed that of the United Kingdom to become the 5th largest economy in the world. This attracts a lot of talent and money. There are far more people moving to California than leaving. People are coming here to join the parade, or as my brother in Huntington Beach says "Chasing the rainbow."

I disagree... I have lived in Kalifornia my entire life, it is going down the drain. Too many people, cost of living too high, overburdensome laws / regulations, confiscatory state government with no respect of it's citizens.. the list goes on and on.

And.. More people are leaving than coming in..

http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/california-exodus-study-says-more-people-leaving-state-than-moving-here

I know a LOT of people that have left, they took deep six figure jobs with them. They work remote and fly in for meetings from time to time. As technology makes people more location independent and tech companies keep building outposts in Colorado, Montana, Iowa, Utah etc. you will see massive changes in the landscape here. I am looking for a way out, if I find it you can bet that I will cash in my chips and flee this sinking ship before it's too late.

Gavin Newsom will likely be the nail in the coffin of Kalifornia.

YellowThumper

Quote from: ledphoot on April 03, 2019, 08:55:15 AM
Quote from: IRON MAN on January 10, 2019, 10:35:27 AM
Governor Brown's legacy is a  $6.1 BILLION budget surplus when he left office last week. Most of this money came from the gas tax. In 2018, California's economy surpassed that of the United Kingdom to become the 5th largest economy in the world. This attracts a lot of talent and money. There are far more people moving to California than leaving. People are coming here to join the parade, or as my brother in Huntington Beach says "Chasing the rainbow."

I disagree... I have lived in Kalifornia my entire life, it is going down the drain. Too many people, cost of living too high, overburdensome laws / regulations, confiscatory state government with no respect of it's citizens.. the list goes on and on.

And.. More people are leaving than coming in..

http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/california-exodus-study-says-more-people-leaving-state-than-moving-here

I know a LOT of people that have left, they took deep six figure jobs with them. They work remote and fly in for meetings from time to time. As technology makes people more location independent and tech companies keep building outposts in Colorado, Montana, Iowa, Utah etc. you will see massive changes in the landscape here. I am looking for a way out, if I find it you can bet that I will cash in my chips and flee this sinking ship before it's too late.

Gavin Newsom will likely be the nail in the coffin of Kalifornia.

Long term Californian here as well.
100% in agreement with Ledphoot above. I remain the only person in California. All my family and friends from early on have moved elsware. ALL who have left are professionals with solid above average incomes.
Current leadership touts number percentages of persons coming in are greater than those leaving. Beating chest that California remains strong. When vast majority of state income is payed by less than 10% of top earners. It is not strong.
Reality is that more money is leaving than is coming in. Tenfold...
Rapid decline is unfortunately expected with new gov.
Hard to comprehend that Jerry was "better" than current.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

HP_Cuda

California native since 4 years old. This place is going to hell in a handbasket.

Let me give you the future of California. Sure they can tout a 6.1B surplus but they don't talk about the pension liabilities (which I thought was around 160B but it seems I was wrong). See here - http://www.pensiontracker.org/

So essentially lawmakers don't want to let Firefighters, Police, Teachers, and other govt workers know that their pension cannot continue in it's current state. Instead of facing down the problem they kick the can down the road. Actually the problem gets worse in the fact that all the lobbyists for each of the aforementioned makes sure city council members who try to correct the problem are thrown off the city council. So in the end, city budgets will dwindle because a lions share will be paid to keep pensions going and let the roads, schools, and other infrastructure/services go to hell. The only way out? Guess what it's bankruptcy and it's been done before and those lovely politicians want others to deliver the bad news.

So either the state government will have to raise taxes on all sorts of crazy stuff like Illinois now (internet usage tax, etc) or they will have to reduce or eliminate programs now to pay for those pensions.

Either way it's gonna get real ugly.

Yes I will be out of here somewhat soon and I'm not saying where I'm going.

:)
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

7212Mopar

I will be very worry when big companies and institutions are leaving the state. the reality is that people are far easier to be replaced than companies. All you can do is look after for yourself and have Plan B, Plan C in place. The problem is too big to solve. The only way to solve it is when the crash happens and we start from scratch again. The idea of paying a guy that retire before age 60 with healthcare coverage and almost full pay while hiring another person to do the job of the retired person with the same benefits is not sustainable. But that is exactly what we have. No such deal for people working in the private sector.

HP_Cuda

It's actually worse, some get more pay in retirement than when they were working.

The system is completely broken because they allow these guys to do massive overtime and extra hours the three years leading up to retirement so they can pad their pension like mad. It's completely stupid.

YellowThumper

Large businesses are leaving.
This is taken from business journal.

"What is more serious is the number of California-based companies that have left or signaled their intention to leave the state. Last year marks the first anniversary of the announcement that Carl's Jr., a California burger icon for more than six decades, was relocating its headquarters to Nashville. It's a symbol for what's become a stream of businesses that have quit California. What was once an almost quiet exodus of companies  now looks more like a stampede.

Among the roll call of  businesses abandoning California for more hospitable business environments includes Toyota which has left Torrance and will complete the move of its U.S. headquarters to Dallas in the coming month. Also having left for Dallas is Jacobs Engineering Group, $6.3 billion firm formerly based in Pasadena that has more than 230 offices across the world, employs 60,000 and generates $12 billion in annual revenue.

Nissan North America (left for Nashville a decade before Carl's Jr. did), Jamba Juice (traded San Francisco for Frisco, Texas), Occidental Petroleum (prefers Houston over Westwood for its headquarters), Numira Biosciences (departed Irvine for Salt Lake City) and Omnitracs, a software firm (waved goodbye to San Diego and said hello to Dallas). Chevron moved 800 jobs from its Bay Area headquarters to Texas, and Waste Connections shifted more than 100 jobs to Texas from Folsom.

"Manufacturing firms account for the largest group of businesses that sought greener pastures, followed by pharmaceutical companies."

In addition, two dozen California companies have said they are tired of the business-bashing in Sacramento, along with the high taxes — and are now threatening to leave the state. The passing of proposition 30 in 2012 triggered $6 billion in new annual taxes pushed even more companies to abandoning the Golden State for greater opportunities in Arizona and Nevada. For example, Kubota Tractor Corp. and Kubota Credit Corp., the company's financing arm, plan to move their headquarters from Torrance to Grapevine, Texas".

Mike.

HP_Cuda

Morty426

Quote from: HP_Cuda on April 03, 2019, 03:10:13 PM

Dang it's like I can predict the future!!!

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/04/01/april-1-california-sales-tax-increase-51-cities/

Don't blame that on the State.  Blame that on morons that are allowed to vote. 

Ballot initiatives are what are killing this State. 

HP_Cuda

It is kinda two fold: one yes for the voters who only vote for free money for themselves and two for the politicians who won't face down a problem that will bankrupt them.

I say this because other states have actually taken measures to head this problem off and yet Calif can only keep spending $$$ they don't have.  :barf:

YellowThumper

Simple cause and effect scenario. More "free" money offerings equates to more persons entering state for it.
For real change to work. Tough and unpleasant decisions need to be made. Creating masses that lose out on what others are already receiving becomes political suicide. Because of that, real change never happens. Only smoke and mirrors to kick can down the road further.
We are unfortunately a reactive society. Not a proactive one.
They don't put up a traffic signal until after someone dies.
When the legitimate and eventual crash happens. There will then be possible real change. Not until then.

Mike.