Main Menu

Blackout

Started by ply64post, February 25, 2021, 06:09:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda_mark

Quote from: autoxcuda on February 26, 2021, 08:00:58 AM
Quote from: Cuda_mark on February 26, 2021, 07:43:16 AM
@anlauto Alan - there is a document showing that the area under the rocker moldings should be black out. Is this true for cuda rocker gills?

Documents are nice.

But look at and reference multiple original cars. There are pics out there of the pinch weld up area for 70 Cuda rocker Gill, 71 Cuda rocker, AAR, and T/A cars.

There are pics of non rocker molding cars with pinch black out.

Does anyone have some good pictures of rocker gill blackouts for 1970?

Some blackout was brushed on. Some with spray on. And some with both.

Skdmark

@Cuda_mark

AFAIK 70 cudas do not have blackout behind the gills. However, they would have the pinch weld blackout below the gills.
The attached "body sill" molding blackout drawing is specific to 71 when they went to the thin molding in lieu of the gills.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Rbob

I have a question, Blackout vs Organisol.

RE: T/A Challenger

I understand organisol  was used on the hood and tail lamp panel.

Was the cowl, front fender edges, mirrors, rocker lip organisol ?

anlauto

No...not in my opinion, it was just a cheap flat black paint... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Interesting that they allowed paint or "fluid deadener" to be used for the black-out. I suppose fluid deadener is undercoating? Anyone ever seen that used?

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: Skdmark on February 25, 2021, 06:20:24 AM
On a 70 cowl it was based on car color; TX9, EB7, EF8 did not get it. The masking was real sloppy too.
There are documented cars that should have had it, but did not receive it. I recall reading that towards the end of the production year many cars did not get it.

Yes, Chrysler Engineering removed cowl blackout from 1970 Cudas on April 27, 1970 in a bulletin. The assembly line had just finished the T/A-AAR run and those cars used a different process (cowl painted before body color). After April 27th, it became hit-or-miss if you got cowl blackout or not. Cars built in May of 1970 may or may not have it but by June all cowl blackout had disappeared.

The rear tailpanel diagram shows where to tape off for blackout.

The diagrams show the colors that omit the cowl and grille area blackout.

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: Skdmark on February 26, 2021, 10:37:08 AM
@Cuda_mark

AFAIK 70 cudas do not have blackout behind the gills. However, they would have the pinch weld blackout below the gills.
The attached "body sill" molding blackout drawing is specific to 71 when they went to the thin molding in lieu of the gills.

Does anyone have a 1971 'Cuda with the thin moulding and the blackout that was mentioned in this post?

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

That was standard on all '71 'Cudas.

Just look up any picture of a properly restored one.
A common restoration mistake is not painting the black.
-Harlan Ellison

1972V21Cuda

Thanks...I think it's often left off...I found one closeup...

1972V21Cuda

cudaize

Here's some I took of my 71 340 cuda hardtop to get an idea of where the black should begin and end.  I believe the gray has been repainted but the black is original.